File sharing Win Xp Win 98

rsw

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2004

Hi, I am looking for some help setting up file and print sharing
between a WIN XP pro PC using a 3com ethernet car hardwired to a
Netgear MR814v2 router and a WIN 98 Laptop using a Netgear PCMCIA
wirless network adaptor. The router is connected the the internet
using a WIFI radio connetion to my ISP.

Prior to going to wireless router setup as described above, I had file
and print sharing working using a Motorola Home networkin setup, no
router, no internet connection. Just using a Motorola bridge.

I have set these small peer to peer networks up several times before
with no problems.

My workgroup name is these same and file and print sharing is properly
setup, however, I cant see the other machine and visa versa anymore.

Should I be running NETBUI over TCP?IP ?

Any help would be appreciated.

"RSW" <rswalker@airsurfer.ca> wrote in message
> Hi, I am looking for some help setting up file and print sharing
> between a WIN XP pro PC using a 3com ethernet car hardwired to a
> Netgear MR814v2 router and a WIN 98 Laptop using a Netgear PCMCIA
> wirless network adaptor. The router is connected the the internet
> using a WIFI radio connetion to my ISP.
>
> Prior to going to wireless router setup as described above, I had file
> and print sharing working using a Motorola Home networkin setup, no
> router, no internet connection. Just using a Motorola bridge.
>
> I have set these small peer to peer networks up several times before
> with no problems.
>
> My workgroup name is these same and file and print sharing is properly
> setup, however, I cant see the other machine and visa versa anymore.
>
> Should I be running NETBUI over TCP?IP ?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I've got a wireless linksys network with two XP computers and a Win 98
computer and have file sharing enabled on each machine. I found it
necessary to run NetBEUI on each machine to share files with the Win 98
machine. To install that protocol on the XP maxhine, you need to use the
XP install disc and manually navigate to the correct folder. On my disc,
NetBEUI is located at VALUEADD | MSFT | NET | NETBEUI.

I have done it several times and didn't need NetBEUI at all.
On the 98 machine, try the following:
Disable and enable (again) file and print sharing
Disable browse master
Unbind file and print sharing to all instances of TCP except for the active
adapter.
If you really want to use NetBEUI, then disable file and print sharing for
all except NetBEUI.
NetBEUI is not obvious in XP but can be installed.

"Bob L" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "RSW" <rswalker@airsurfer.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi, I am looking for some help setting up file and print sharing
>> between a WIN XP pro PC using a 3com ethernet car hardwired to a
>> Netgear MR814v2 router and a WIN 98 Laptop using a Netgear PCMCIA
>> wirless network adaptor. The router is connected the the internet
>> using a WIFI radio connetion to my ISP.
>>
>> Prior to going to wireless router setup as described above, I had file
>> and print sharing working using a Motorola Home networkin setup, no
>> router, no internet connection. Just using a Motorola bridge.
>>
>> I have set these small peer to peer networks up several times before
>> with no problems.
>>
>> My workgroup name is these same and file and print sharing is properly
>> setup, however, I cant see the other machine and visa versa anymore.
>>
>> Should I be running NETBUI over TCP?IP ?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> I've got a wireless linksys network with two XP computers and a Win 98
> computer and have file sharing enabled on each machine. I found it
> necessary to run NetBEUI on each machine to share files with the Win 98
> machine. To install that protocol on the XP maxhine, you need to use the
> XP install disc and manually navigate to the correct folder. On my disc,
> NetBEUI is located at VALUEADD | MSFT | NET | NETBEUI.

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 18:07:32 -0500, "Alan White"
<alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have done it several times and didn't need NetBEUI at all.
>On the 98 machine, try the following:
>Disable and enable (again) file and print sharing
>Disable browse master
>Unbind file and print sharing to all instances of TCP except for the active
>adapter.
>If you really want to use NetBEUI, then disable file and print sharing for
>all except NetBEUI.
>NetBEUI is not obvious in XP but can be installed.

That will work but you left out how to test it.
Start -> Run
\\IP_Address_of_other_machine
\\NETBIOS_name_of_other_machine
This bypasses the need for the master browser. If you get a directory
list, you still have connectivity. If it says xxxxx can't be found,
you win.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558