File still open!!!

I'm the only user in the machine and i try to open a file, but i receive a
message that the file is in use by another user...

But I'm the only user in that machine and i have no programs open..

What can I do???

[]s...

It is possible that a tmp file has control of the file. look for a file
with the same name preceded by a ~ and ending in .tmp
You can delete the .tmp file. then try to open the file again.

Also you may want to look in your sessions to verify no one else is
accessing the file.

Computer Management > Shared Folders > Sessions
Dusty Harper
Microsoft Corporation
This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

"Drunkalot" <drunkalot@terra.com.br> wrote in message
> I'm the only user in the machine and i try to open a file, but i receive a
> message that the file is in use by another user...
>
> But I'm the only user in that machine and i have no programs open..
>
> What can I do???
>

> []s...

There are no other users, I'm the only one in the machine (i reseted it!!!)
and there´s no .tmp file...

I don't know what to do anymore!!!

"Dusty Harper {MS}" <DHarper@Online.Microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It is possible that a tmp file has control of the file. look for a file
> with the same name preceded by a ~ and ending in .tmp
> You can delete the .tmp file. then try to open the file again.
>
> Also you may want to look in your sessions to verify no one else is
> accessing the file.
>
> Computer Management > Shared Folders > Sessions
> Dusty Harper
> Microsoft Corporation
> This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights
>
> "Drunkalot" <drunkalot@terra.com.br> wrote in message
> > I'm the only user in the machine and i try to open a file, but i receive
> > message that the file is in use by another user...
> >
> > But I'm the only user in that machine and i have no programs open..
> >
> > What can I do???
> >

> > []s...

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

drink a cup of coffee and start again. what is the name of the file? and
what folder is it in? there are many files that are normally open when
windows is running normally that you would get that message for.

oh, and if that is your real email address you should make sure your virus
scanner is up to date as you will soon be receiving plenty of virus laden
email.

"Drunkalot" <drunkalot@terra.com.br> wrote in message
> I'm the only user in the machine and i try to open a file, but i receive a
> message that the file is in use by another user...
>
> But I'm the only user in that machine and i have no programs open..
>
> What can I do???
>

> []s...

In addition to the other replies you can go to SysInternals and download handle. You
can then use it in this context " handle filename " where filename would need to
include the full path to the file and it will tell you what process and executable
has the file open which should help you determine what is going on. See the below for
an example. If you need further information, you can use Process Explorer from the
same website and/or use Task Manager to see who is the owner of the process. ---
Steve

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/handle.shtml

D:\Documents and Settings\Steve>handle d:\test.doc

Handle v2.2
Copyright (C) 1997-2004 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

WINWORD.EXE pid: 2068 D:\test.doc

"Drunkalot" <drunkalot@terra.com.br> wrote in message
> I'm the only user in the machine and i try to open a file, but i receive a
> message that the file is in use by another user...
>
> But I'm the only user in that machine and i have no programs open..
>
> What can I do???
>

> []s...

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

try booting to safe mode, then delete it, if it deletes
fine, then a process/app. is using it under Normal windows
boot.

Also try the other threads to see what has it open.