[SOLVED] File system error (-2144926975), ssd is missing, audio isn't working.

dagobert

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Yesterday I got a random CPU fan error so I loaded the defaults in the BIOS. Things were working fine, until I noticed my two ssd's were not showing up. Went through disk management and didn't see it there, couldn't get it so I figured maybe reverting to an earlier system restore point might fix things. My PC restarted and I got an error saying it couldn't restore it. I noticed my audio isn't working, it just says no output/input devices found, a bunch of programs seem to be missing or the icons are just blank in the start menu. If I try to open recovery, I get the File system error (-2144926975). I tried doing the sfc /scannow in cmd and some other methods dealing with the CMD and it doesn't seem to fix it. Any idea on why this happened and how to hopefully fix it without having to re-install Windows 10?

Colif

Win 11 Master
so can you see the ssd yet?
do they show in bios?

what version of win 10?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current is 20H2

depends how long ago sys restore point was, it can roll back drivers updated since then so may have wiped audio

dagobert

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
so can you see the ssd yet?
do they show in bios?

what version of win 10?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current is 20H2

depends how long ago sys restore point was, it can roll back drivers updated since then so may have wiped audio
I can only see my two nvme drives, my two ssd's do not show up at all, anywhere. Not even in bios for some reason. Seems odd if both ssd's died at the same time all of a sudden. It was working the day before.

I am running 20h2 and update quite frequently.

System restore was of like 4 days ago.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would try ssd in another PC and see if they work, it would seem strange if both go in one day, another PC is a good way to check it is them. I assume they weren't in raid?

audio missing? was it missing before you tried system restore?

windows recovery? although if a ssd was in pc when you installed windows its possible that one of the ssd had winre on it. Lucky boot partition is on an nvme. that doesn't explain sound though.

It could be the motherboard itself? weird turn of events, everything is failing at once. I would be tempted to get PC looked at if you can.

dagobert

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
i would try ssd in another PC and see if they work, it would seem strange if both go in one day, another PC is a good way to check it is them. I assume they weren't in raid?

audio missing? was it missing before you tried system restore?

windows recovery? although if a ssd was in pc when you installed windows its possible that one of the ssd had winre on it. Lucky boot partition is on an nvme. that doesn't explain sound though.

It could be the motherboard itself? weird turn of events, everything is failing at once. I would be tempted to get PC looked at if you can.
I just checked bios again and I guess I made a mistake, it was late, but it does show the two ssd's in bios that is not showing in windows. So I guess the ssd and motherboard is fine. Just not sure what caused all this and how the cpu fan error was related to this or how to fix this now without having to do a fresh reinstall of Windows.