File systems support

ultimatebot

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
hi guys.....
In my college they have linux centos(i dont exactly remember which version of centos).... i have some files in that system's hdd...... my external hdd is in fat32...... but i cant copy the files coz they are 5 gb each...... so if i format my ext hdd to ext3 or ext4 will i be able to copy the files?????? and i must run the files in my windows pc.... so will windows support ext3 and ext4???

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Whenever I have to do such a task, I kind of try to always do read-only from unsupported filesystems. So when copying windows to linux, I use linux-NTFS support. When copying linux to windows, I use windows-ext2 (the most compatible).
For accessing ext2/3 (maybe 4) in Windows, I use ext2ifs for windows. This is a driver which provides "normal" access to ext filesystems. I only don't know about Win7 support, as it's latest release is from 2008. But even Vista x64 is supported with signed driver.
Searching now, I also see a nice possibility with ext2read, which accesses read-only without a driver (so only copying can be done). They also claim ext4 support.

Beside these utilities, I strongly sugest usage of a checksum utility, just to make sure everything is identical. md5sum is still widely used in linux and you can find nice GUIs for windows also.

Another way is to boot something like Ubuntu liveCD, which provides NTFS support, although I really did not use it. Like I said, I tend to use these cross-platform solution only as a last resort. I have a linux server at home, so any transfers I do are though the local network.

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

You missed the point:
-at college: centOS with no NTFS support (tried by OP)
-home: Windows PC
So different locations, probably internet the only link between them.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Ah, re-read the original post and while it could still be done easily and securely over ssh, it would require the centOS machine to be up at all times and to have the external drive stay with it.

As such, I would move my suggestion to "configure fuse NTFS support", detailed here

ultimatebot

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
sorry for such a late reply.. i actually resolved it a long time before.. :D its actually very easy.... formatted my external hd to ext 3... copied the files from the linux( requires ADMIN access) and then used ext2fsd (an awesome app) in the windows... simple :na: :sol: