File transfer bottleneck

stavie131

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
I have two Windows 10 desktops both with gigabit NICS on the motherboards and they are both connected to the same unmanaged gigabit switch. The transfer speed between both computers jumps between 8 and 25 MB/s with a rare jump to 125. Since I am connected to a gigabit switch I should at least be getting 512 MB/s. I am trying to copy my steam library from one computer to the other. I'm transferring from a Samsung 850 pro to a 4tb SSHD both drives are hooked up via sata 6 GB/s ports. Thank you for any help!

Solution
The most you will see is 125Mbytes. Transfer rates are greatly affected by many things but lots of tiny files tend to use up a lot of bandwidth with overhead. Watch the resource monitor and see what you network rates really are.

The best test is the old IPERF tool. It will test only the network. You should see 800-900mbits/sec
The most you will see is 125Mbytes. Transfer rates are greatly affected by many things but lots of tiny files tend to use up a lot of bandwidth with overhead. Watch the resource monitor and see what you network rates really are.

The best test is the old IPERF tool. It will test only the network. You should see 800-900mbits/sec

Solution