Question File Transfer Speed Slows Down Only When New HDD Is Connected

Dec 25, 2022
I have a little home server that I use to store media on. The server only has a 1 TB WD Drive and a basically junk SSD I use as a boot drive that I scavenged from a laptop. I bought a new 2 TB Seagate Hard drive that works great except one issue. When I connect it to the server, the file transfer speed between the server and my PC gets slashed from 70-80 MB/s to 5 or so MB/s. This affects all drives on the systems. It is repeatable, when I unplug the new Seagate drive, transfer speeds are as expected, plugging it back in creates the issue again. Would love some input, thanks.

Edit: Swapped the Data cable from the WD Drive to the Seagate Drive and it magically started functioning normally. The specific data cable causes the data issue only plugged into the Seagate drive, when plugged into the WD Drive, everything is fine. Sorry for the wasted time.

Last edited:
I have a little home server that I use to store media on. The server only has a 1 TB WD Drive and a basically junk SSD I use as a boot drive that I scavenged from a laptop. I bought a new 2 TB Seagate Hard drive that works great except one issue. When I connect it to the server, the file transfer speed between the server and my PC gets slashed from 70-80 MB/s to 5 or so MB/s. This affects all drives on the systems. It is repeatable, when I unplug the new Seagate drive, transfer speeds are as expected, plugging it back in creates the issue again. Would love some input, thanks.

Edit: Swapped the Data cable from the WD Drive to the Seagate Drive and it magically started functioning normally. The specific data cable causes the data issue only plugged into the Seagate drive, when plugged into the WD Drive, everything is fine. Sorry for the wasted time.
Some older MBs had different generation SATA ports.