[SOLVED] File transfer without a pc

Dec 17, 2021
Is there any kind of standalone file copying dock on the market that could transfer files directly from an inserted SSD to a USB 3.0 thumb drive (or other external USB drive) ultra-fast?

My aging PC is a bottleneck: it only supports USB 2.0. Moving 24,000 digital image files (130GB) takes 6 hours to pass thru that bottleneck.

Solution
There are devices that can clone the contents of one drive to another (such as https://www.amazon.com/SATA-Hard-Drive-Duplicator-Eraser/dp/B00G6TG5YE) , but this is likely not what you're looking for. And what you're looking for can't really be done easily, because that would require the device to understand file systems, as well as understand what permission systems are in place if the filesystem supports such.

If your PC has expansion capabilities, you might be able to get a USB 3.x expansion card in there.
There are devices that can clone the contents of one drive to another (such as https://www.amazon.com/SATA-Hard-Drive-Duplicator-Eraser/dp/B00G6TG5YE) , but this is likely not what you're looking for. And what you're looking for can't really be done easily, because that would require the device to understand file systems, as well as understand what permission systems are in place if the filesystem supports such.

If your PC has expansion capabilities, you might be able to get a USB 3.x expansion card in there.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Is there any kind of standalone file copying dock on the market that could transfer files directly from an inserted SSD to a USB 3.0 thumb drive (or other external USB drive) ultra-fast?

My aging PC is a bottleneck: it only supports USB 2.0. Moving 24,000 digital image files (130GB) takes 6 hours to pass thru that bottleneck.
How often do you move data in that quantity?
If just this once...just let it run. Overnight if need be.

Dec 17, 2021

I actually did try a Startech USB 3.0 ExpressCard and a ByteCC ExpressCard. Neither one made file copying any faster. I might try them again in case i missed something (missing or outdated drivers?)…It was my impression that even with either of these cards, something in the laptop’s basic architecture still caused a bottleneck. Or maybe they’re just incompatible with Windows 10…

I actually did try a Startech USB 3.0 ExpressCard and a ByteCC ExpressCard. Neither one made file copying any faster. I might try them again in case i missed something (missing or outdated drivers?)…It was my impression that even with either of these cards, something in the laptop’s basic architecture still caused a bottleneck. Or maybe they’re just incompatible with Windows 10…
If the speed didn't improve at all, then to me this implies the device is USB 2.0. If the packaging claimed anything about USB 3.0, it was probably trying to say you can use it in a USB 3.0 port.

USAFRet

Titan
1 large file of 130GB is faster than 24,000 small files totaling 130GB.
Thumb drives are slower than just about any other drive type.

Either way, though....I wouldn't put a lot of money into trying to make things faster with this particular system.
Just let it run overnight when you need to do this.