G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have a desktop running WinXP Pro, and a notebook running WinXP Home.
I have my network and file sharing set up but I'm having a problem. If
I'm on my desktop, I can transfer files in from my notebook, but not
out. My desktop computer seems to lock up any time I sent files. This
includes sending email attachments.

My router is a Microsoft MN-700. If anyone can point me in the right
direction, it would be appreciated.

TIA
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

What are the computer names?

A <space> in computer names (acceptable in Win9x systems) is
unacceptable to XP so the Win9x computer can access the XP files but not
vice/versa

hth,
Beverly Howard
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Beverly,

Thank you for the response. My desktop computer is named "Desktop" and
my notebook is named "Sony Laptop" Would this prevent me from being
able to transfer files from my desktop to my notebook? My desktop is
running WinXP Pro and my notebook is running WinXP Home. Also, on my
desktop I cannot send email attachments. Any time I try to upload a
file, it freezes.

Thanks again.



On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:01:52 -0600, "Beverly Howard
[Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

>What are the computer names?
>
>A <space> in computer names (acceptable in Win9x systems) is
>unacceptable to XP so the Win9x computer can access the XP files but not
>vice/versa
>
>hth,
>Beverly Howard
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Yes... the <space> in "Sony Laptop" will prevent any XP machine from
being able to access it.

Tip... rename it something like "iiiSonyLT" where the "iii" are your
initials. If you end up on another network, it id's your machine
better, plus, it's short, easy to remember and easy to type in to get to
specific folders.

for example

\\iiisonylt\c\work\myfile.doc

You will have to both reboot after changing the name and updated any
connections from other machines that you may have... be sure to password
protect all shares on the laptop.

Hope this helps,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
 

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1,720
0
19,780
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:O2SgM2T4EHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Yes... the <space> in "Sony Laptop" will prevent any XP machine from being
> able to access it.
>
> Tip... rename it something like "iiiSonyLT" where the "iii" are your
> initials. If you end up on another network, it id's your machine better,
> plus, it's short, easy to remember and easy to type in to get to specific
> folders.
>
> for example
>
> \\iiisonylt\c\work\myfile.doc
>
> You will have to both reboot after changing the name and updated any
> connections from other machines that you may have... be sure to password
> protect all shares on the laptop.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Could you please leave the body of the original (or at least previous)
message in your replies, so everyone knows what the query is, as to get a
better understanding to what your answers pertain :)?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

>> Could you please leave the body of the original (or at least
previous) message in your replies, <<

Sorry... using Mozilla News (Thunderbird) where that's not necessary, so
I forget... will attempt to comply.

Beverly Howard