Files And Settings Transfer Wizard

DJ

Recently, i did a restore for my PC and I used the Files
And Settings Transfer Wizard.. got the files, reinstalled
my Win XP Home and then tried to Transfer the settings and
Files back on to my PC but the wizard does not recognize
the files... can i find some program to open those files
manually and then copy them? or can I somehow fix the
status file(because I think that's where my problem is)???

"dj" <dj_regal_gs@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Recently, i did a restore for my PC and I used the Files
>And Settings Transfer Wizard.. got the files, reinstalled
>my Win XP Home and then tried to Transfer the settings and
>Files back on to my PC but the wizard does not recognize
>the files... can i find some program to open those files
>manually and then copy them? or can I somehow fix the
>status file(because I think that's where my problem is)???

There is no known way, at least none that I am aware of, to repair the
FASTW if it is damaged or corrupt.

This type of problem is very rare, and I have yet to actually get my
hands on a system where this problem exists, although I have seen a
few posts on these newsgroups where others have encountered the same
issue.

If you don't mind, I would like to ask you a couple of questions about
how you prepared the FASTW data when it was saved.

1. Were you using the PC for other activities while FASTW was
gathering up the data, or did you leave the computer sitting with just
FASTW running?

2. When you saved the FASTW data did you create a new folder just for
that purpose, or did you just tell it to save the data on a specific
drive?

We are looking for common factors amongst those who have experienced
this issue, and your answers may help to identify this.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP