Files are Locked after PC Reset

rockinroller

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Help! I did a "Reset My PC" (Windows 10) including deleting all files and folders. I backed up all of those on to my external HD. One of those folders (the most important and sensitive folder, all of my personal information) had been LOCKED on my Desktop. I saved it on to my ext. HD by simply "sliding" the folder icon over to my external drive and it saved there, instead of unlocking it first and moving over all of its contents into a folder of the same name on my ext. HD. After the reset I attempted to move that precious folder back over to my Desktop and only the folders copied over--none of the contents in the folders! Further, when I view the folders and files on my ext. HD, they each have a padlock on their respective icons, and I am not allowed to view any of them!!! Anyone have a suggestion as to retrieving the contents of that precious folder?

rockinroller

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that software has lots of complaints online that it's packed with malware and viruses. My anti-virus stopped it from loading.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Interesting...I know a lot of people that have used it for years (including myself). I have never had issues and never had a top antivirus flag it as virus/malware. As long as you select "custom install" you won't get any of the adware. The people with the viruses also probably didn't download it from a reputable download site.

rockinroller

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

Do you have a recommendation for a "reputable" download site?

rockinroller

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

I downloaded UNLOCKER from File Hippo (deleting the Toolbar option) and tried using it. Here's what happened:

1. went to a file on my ext. HD and selected it.
2. UNLOCKER reported that "No Locking Handle Found. However Unlocker can help you deal with this object. Choose the action you want to perform on the object".
3. I selected "Move" then "OK".
4. It stated: "The object could not be moved. Do you want to perform the requested move operation at the next reboot?"

I rebooted and the selected file was vacant on my Desktop (where I had requested it be moved).

Any other suggestion on getting my files opened on my ext. HD?