Question Files copy paste error

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Having an issue across multiple Windows machines where:
Select file
copy
move to new location and paste

The first paste will always be an "open with" corruption. Shows small white square as file with the correct name under.

The second paste (like hit Ctrl V twice) and the file copies to the new folder correctly.

I have been looking online and see loads of people complaining about the issue. It is said that it's something MS is working on, but some of these posts are back into last year. Happening on 11 and 10 machines.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I get the occasional problem when dropping a file from one remote session to a local system, I always assumed that was network related.

If this is happening with only local files, maybe take a close look at the drive health. If it is SATA, try another cable. Double check system memory integrity?

Other general suggestions seem to be related to making sure that Windows is completely intact. Run SFC /SCANNOW and Chkdsk to verify the drive doesn't have bad sectors you are copying to and from.

Any AV/Anti-malware software running? I've had completely benign files completely consumed by Windows before. My favorite example is still Visual Studio, the later versions install parts of the Unreal Engine, and it tries to directly download them from epicgames.com, which get flagged and deleted as they came in, stopping the install process.

Reactions: punkncat
Having an issue across multiple Windows machines where:
Select file
copy
move to new location and paste

The first paste will always be an "open with" corruption. Shows small white square as file with the correct name under.

The second paste (like hit Ctrl V twice) and the file copies to the new folder correctly.

I have been looking online and see loads of people complaining about the issue. It is said that it's something MS is working on, but some of these posts are back into last year. Happening on 11 and 10 machines.
For Windows 10 machines it would probably be better if you use the File Explorer top ribbon bar options where you select a file, click on the "Move to" icon, select the location and press the Move button. Or if the destination location is visible in the Navigation pane on the left simply hold the shift key and drag the file to its destination folder. Those options have never failed. On Windows 11 the drag and drop method still works without failure. I don't remember how the default ribbon bar is configured on an unmodified by third party software installation.