[SOLVED] Files from MS Catalogue wont start download when clicked after doing Migration to New computer!!

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
Hi, after doing a migration to a new computer i ran into a few problems as you do with compatibility but one in particular happened on two migrations to two diff computers and its needs to be fixed- maybe a good learning experience too for me.
Tried emailing the PCMover software company about this but they never replied!

After using PCMover Enterprise when i go to Microsoft Catalogue, I choose a file to download but the file itself when i click on it to start the download, nothing happens when normally it would appear where you want it to download to and it starts just like any download does

I just click the file link over and over but nothing is happening!!. Before i did the migration, i did a clean install of windows and updates i did test of a random file from the catalogue and it started fine and i cancelled it but after PCmover, cant open it any more. This already happened once before and thats why i ran the test before and after Migration.

Those MS files are needed at times when updates system plays up in win 7 so i need this to work-

Ran SFC/ scannow and nothing and is this a Registry block from PC Mover or something else like User privileges all messed up?
I can download other files from Dell such as drivers so why is MS catalogue files not working now??

thank for any help

Tim..

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
umm.....much more details needed here.

But...a "new computer" generally requires a full fresh install.
Not a 'migration', and not "PCMover".
Yes i wasnt clear. I did a fresh install and updates but have many programs ect i want to move across plus settings files ect, So thats the migration part which i cant help as i dont have those programs disks anymore plus so many of them!! Why would this effect MS catalogue file downloads? but not other places which i already tested

USAFRet

Titan
Yes i wasnt clear. I did a fresh install and updates but have many programs ect i want to move across plus settings files ect, So thats the migration part which i cant help as i dont have those programs disks anymore plus so many of them!! Why would this effect MS catalogue file downloads? but not other places which i already tested
The "PCMover" things that purport to move applications between OS installs and systems are very sketchy as to actually success.
Program A might work, while Program B might fail, while Program C might seem to work, but not really.

That's why they are pretty universally not recommended.

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
The "PCMover" things that purport to move applications between OS installs and systems are very sketchy as to actually success.
Program A might work, while Program B might fail, while Program C might seem to work, but not really.

That's why they are pretty universally not recommended.
Yes i allowed for that as some programs were 32 and others 64 bit but surprisingly, 99% running well and no blue screens just some double ups which i cleaned up .
So do you know why MS catalogue files wont download AFTER PCMover?

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
Any link i try for windows 7- very use ful ones of course when "update" gives trouble and that troubleshooter never fixes the problem.
You see list of files then on right it says download- this takes you to the file link address and you CLICK on it and download starts. Nothing happens when i click but worked fine before PCmover .
I guess all the changes and registry stuff it has to do somehow blocked this but other downloading drivers from other places seem ok . Just MS Catalogue links are playing up.
Anyway thanks for your reply. I also posted to MS Forum as they have programmers and savy hacker types haha that should know a workaround or registry change to fix this

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
It worked fine using firefox and others but chrome settings ect blocking it. Others have complained of this issue too so i happy as long as windows is ok and i can look at chrome to see why its doing it. No biggie

So how do you delete or delete on toms forum?

thanks

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
Not the way i would do it as it leaves semi open questions and mess and its like all your left over registry files clogging things up or even up to 99% junk DNA of humans - Evolution is a messy blind way but well here we are... Other sites you can edit, delete and close off questions and enquires .
Anyway i am a pilot and engineer so i have to do things right and perfect or people die or things explode! haha !!
I will "mark" this one with that Trophy symbol icon thing as "best answer" and people can ignore this question i guess.... Like this forum, just wish it was more logical but most of the human race still belive in a god of many so maybe i ask for too much? but thats for another of many forums forums i am on..... :giggle: