Files gone.. But not gone ?

Halfsqot

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
Basically i log onto my computer when i get back from work and start up battlefield 4 but i get this error http://imgur.com/HKAPPQV so i then goto my computer and see that my Hard drive is like brand new again. No storage whatsoever on it. http://imgur.com/z4kr3aq C: Storage is my SSD and OS. i freak out for a minute but everything seems to still be in the hard drive and i now im here with no clue to what is happening. Is my hard drive faulty ? Nope.. ran extended test on Digital Date Lifeguard and is completely fine and passed the test with flying colors then tested it on error-checking when looking properties and its all fine there too. One weird thing is the only data that is missing are all my games from steam ?! And Msi afterburnmer for some reason. Realtemp works fine and so does Open Hardware Monitor which are both installed on that hard drive. Could steam be the problem ? Can i retrieve my games ? where have they gone! :( I would be so grateful if someone was to help a man in need! Thanks :)

Solution
I'm really baffled by this issue. The drive passed all the tests by both the diagnostics tool and the anti-virus program and the partition looks perfectly fine. As for changing the letter of the drive, this shouldn't lead to any problems whatsoever with the data on that drive (except for shortcuts that lead to programs installed on it, which includes games as well). E.g. if you change the drive's letter to D: for example, your shortcuts for your games won't work because they'll be searching for the game in A: drive (which won't exist anymore). So all you'll need to do is enter the game's directory and click with the right-mouse button on the .exe hover your mouse over "Send to" and select Desktop. This will create a new shortcut on your...
Hey there Halfsqot and welcome to the community. :)

This is a strange issue indeed. Has your secondary drive always had the letter A: ? This is strange, because it is usually one of the "reserved" letters, which in the past was used for a floppy drive. Does anyone else has access to your computer, who might have messed things up a bit? If "no", I'd recommend that you try scanning the HDD with your anti-virus program (with updated database) and do the same with an anti-malware program as well. Would you please post a screenshot of what you see about the HDD and its partitions in Disk Management?
The error you got is that the file can't be located (either it is gone, or the destination path has changed).

Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Halfsqot

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015

Well i changed it too A: as it was easier for me :) could that be the issue ? as it is a reserved slot for a floppy drive. But if i change the letter everything will be corrupt inside it wont it ? so i will loose all my games i have just installed again? I have scanned it with avg and its fine! no malware whatsoever! it is a brand new hard drive and luckily i had not installed any important documents onto it. here is the partition http://imgur.com/IN48Sp1 its very strange indeed :( i have the worst internet and it takes almost 19 hours to install games like fallout 4! Really hope this wont happen again as i might just get a brand new hard drive :/ Thanks for the nice welcome Boogieman!

I'm really baffled by this issue. The drive passed all the tests by both the diagnostics tool and the anti-virus program and the partition looks perfectly fine. As for changing the letter of the drive, this shouldn't lead to any problems whatsoever with the data on that drive (except for shortcuts that lead to programs installed on it, which includes games as well). E.g. if you change the drive's letter to D: for example, your shortcuts for your games won't work because they'll be searching for the game in A: drive (which won't exist anymore). So all you'll need to do is enter the game's directory and click with the right-mouse button on the .exe hover your mouse over "Send to" and select Desktop. This will create a new shortcut on your Desktop.
Keep an eye on the drive for any other issues, but hopefully everything stays fine for good.

Please let me know if there's anything else.

Solution