[SOLVED] Files on new external hard drive become unreadable

Feb 2, 2021
I recently bought a new external HDD and transfered to it ~2TB of videos from an old one. I then noticed that some (but not all) of the videos could no longer be played on the new HDD (the error I got was 0xc10100bf with Windows 10's built-in video player; didn't work with VLC either). I thought that there must have been a problem during the file transfer and used a tool (hbbatchbeast) to check for corrupt video files on my new HDD. I then replaced all of them (several hundred) with copies from my backup. Another hbbatchbeast run showed that now all videos were apparently fine. I thought that was it.

However, today, I started up my computer and tried to play another video file from the new HDD. It was now also unreadable, throwing the same error message. I ran hbbatchbeast again and it showed >100 unreadable video files, at least some (not sure if all) from previously unaffected folders. This is the SMART data for the HDD (raw values as decimal values):

Crystal-Disk-Info-20210202184020.png

What do you think is the most plausible explanation for this?

Thanks, -jeff

Solution
Try another USB cable and port (experiment with USB2 and USB3 ports, as some drives' allegedly at USB 3.0 spec had overheating circuitry with massive amounts of reads/writes at USB 3.0 speeds), but, beyond that...at some point, I'd conclude I need to test with a different drive, regardless of what CrystalDiskMark says. Corrupted files are certainly useless....
Try another USB cable and port (experiment with USB2 and USB3 ports, as some drives' allegedly at USB 3.0 spec had overheating circuitry with massive amounts of reads/writes at USB 3.0 speeds), but, beyond that...at some point, I'd conclude I need to test with a different drive, regardless of what CrystalDiskMark says. Corrupted files are certainly useless....

Solution