Question "Files on this CD-ROM are read only. You can't move or delete files upon this CD-ROM drive"

bhavick

Honorable
Nov 14, 2018
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me please. Just some background information on what's happened so far. I've brought some diagnostic software for my car and I have installed it on my laptop. The laptop is running Windows 7 Home. Part of the installation process involves moving one of the files on the installation CD in to a folder on my C drive, however when I try and do this I get the following error message ""Files on this CD-ROM are read only. You can't move or delete files upon this CD-ROM drive"

I have tried right clicking on the file and clicked properties and I've unchecked the box that says "read only"

I have disabled Windows firewall and defender but it makes no difference. I have also tried moving the installation files on to a USB stick and moving the files over like that but it just auto deletes the file when I try and do that.

I am really not sure what to do now if anyone can shed any light on how I can get around it I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

bhavick

Honorable
Nov 14, 2018
Yes.
The CD is read only.

You're supposed to copy files FROM the CD TO your laptop.

Yes i have already tried copying the file over from the CD to the folder on my laptop but it doesn't work? I also contacted the person that sold me the diagnostic cable and they even send me a link to download the files on to my laptop but I still can't move the file.

Last edited:

bhavick

Honorable
Nov 14, 2018
That is saying you cannot move files TO the CD.

Right click the file in question, COPY.

Locate the place on the laptop drive, PASTE.

I am not trying to move any files TO the CD AT ALL. What i am trying to do is move 1 file from the CD to a folder on my C drive. Just tried copying and pasting the file to the designated folder and now i am getting a message that says "You'll need to provide administrator permission to move to this folder"

I am not trying to move any files TO the CD AT ALL. What i am trying to do is move 1 file from the CD to a folder on my C drive.
No - you CAN NOT move files from read only CD.
You can only copy them.
Moving a file means - it is deleted from source drive. Since CD is read only, you CAN NOT delete from it.
Just tried copying and pasting the file to the designated folder and now i am getting a message that says "You'll need to provide administrator permission to move to this folder"
Make a folder on desktop and copy files there.
Folder you're trying to copy to, doesn't have necessary permissions set.

Reactions: PEnns

bhavick

Honorable
Nov 14, 2018
I created a folder and it says "Destination Folder Access Denied" when i try and copy and paste the file in to the folder. It also has another message that says "You'll need to provide administrator permission to move to this folder"

The folder i created was already to pre set to read only which i unchecked the box and clicked apply however which i click properties again on the folder it still has the read only box ticked.

I created a folder and it says "Destination Folder Access Denied" when i try and copy and paste the file in to the folder. It also has another message that says "You'll need to provide administrator permission to move to this folder"
Where is this folder located?
Create a folder on your desktop instead.

If you created a folder like C:\myfolder
, then you have to set file access permissions for regular users to create files in there.
By default only Administrators can do that.

Add Full Control permissions for everyone on that folder.
Right click on the folder, choose Properties/Security and add necessary permissions.

file-access-properties.png

Last edited:

bhavick

Honorable
Nov 14, 2018
Where is this folder located?
Create a folder on your desktop instead.

If you created a folder like C:\myfolder
, then you have to set file access permissions for regular users to create files in there.
By default only Administrators can do that.

Add Full Control permissions for everyone on that folder.
Right click on the folder, choose Properties/Security and add necessary permissions.

file-access-properties.png

I did create a new folder on my desktop. The source file that I am trying to move is located in a zip folder on my desktop also.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
A read-only source will not allow you to "move" any files from it.

When installing anything from any source, CD, USB, HDD, or whatever, you DO NOT need to MOVE any files.
You just install from the source. That's it. If you want copy, fine, you can do that too, but DEFINITELY NOT MOVE!!

As to the CD in question, you are contradicting yourself; you are saying you don't want to move, but in the next sentence you say "The source file that I am trying to move".

You cannot move from a read only CD (or whatever medium!). People here are trying to help you, please listen to their advice.

The CD program is no doubt copyright protected.

Go to the CD and that file/folder you're trying to get a copy from CD to computer right click and go down to ----Send to---

Choose---- Compressed (zipped) folder----

You will get a pop up saying you can't zip it on the locked CD would you like to send it to the desktop.

click ---Yes---

If all goes as it should now just unzip it.