Files set to read only?

G

I backed up a bunch of files (using my Plextor & Adaptec EasyCD) from one system, then put them on another. Thing is, all the files I restored are set to 'read only'

When I copied them off the CD/R I just used Win explorer and 'dragged/dropped' onto the HD. Should I have used the Adaptec EasyCD to copy the files off the CD/R to the HD? Or use Explorers 'Copy file' instead of drag/drop?

And how can I globally reset the file attributes of the existing files (instead of calling up properties for each and every one of them)?

thanks for the help/advice

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Since the files came off a CDR, which is read-only media after being written on, your file attributes after copying the files are all read only. I'm not sure if there is a "proper" way of copying the files back using a program. However, you can change file attributes of the files in a folder all at once by bring up the Properties of that folder and changing it there. Keep in mind that all files in that folder will be set to "read only."

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

That's what I figured too. I'm new to CD/R and didn't think about it till I discovered it.

I tried setting the attributes of the folder itself (as you suggested) and it didn't work (Win98SE). I eventually discovered I had to just select all the files under the folder and set the properties that way.

Interesting thing is, Plextor didn't seem to 'know' this and thus have a recommendation as to how to move files "properly" to avoid this inconvenience.

G

When you say Plextor, you mean the drive or the company itself? Just wondering...

"akuna mutata" braza... :wink:

G

Actually this comes from an old mentality in the computer business -- they have a way of thinking that you won't buy it unless you know how to use it. This way is changing, but it is still prevalent throughout the industry. Most companies are aware of this issue, they just assume the customer is too, or will soon learn.

By the way, you can use the attrib -r *.* command on a folder and it'll remove the read only attribute from all the files there. You can either go to the MSDOS prompt and navigate your way to the proper directory and run it, or run it from the RUN command on the start menu and specify the path for the folder you want to do this to.