Question Files stopping during transfer from External to Internal Hard Drives

Mar 22, 2019
Hi guys,

I've read various files with little success, although I have narrowed down the problem somewhat. Also, yes, I am aware a single hard drive back up of valuable files is stupid. Point taken and all files backed up across 3 locations now.

I have a external hard drive which I used to back up all of my old photos and videos. I had a good 5-600GB of data. I used Tera Copy and got all but 50GB across.

The files in this 50gb when using windows explorer get stuck. So one file might always stop at 71% and another at 21%, every single time. The ones left are the files that aren't working.

I've done various drive tests and defrag checks and the drive health is good. Which means it is the files.

Now, all of these files are videos of over 1GB per vid. I decided to look into the files, and used the 71% video as an example, as the video is exactly 10:00 long.

The file transfers fine within the external. It does not transfer to an external, nor does it upload to the internet. I can't zip it or anything as every programme halts at 71% completion.

I've watched the video back. VLC crashes at - you guessed it - 7m and 10s. or 71%...

HOWEVER, if I skip over this time mark to 7m and 20s, the video is perfect right until the end.

Which means the file between 71 and 72% is corrupt I guess?

So, my question is, is there a programme which will copy the file regardless of this error, so I can use Sony Vegas Pro to cut the corrupt part out? Or anything that I can do?

Cheers in advance,

Chris.

P.S. VLC shows the following error at 7m 10s:

File reading failed:

VLC could not read the file (Bad file descriptor).

Mar 22, 2019
To add, by stop at 70%, I mean the transfer rate drops from a steady 80-100mbps to 0.

Also, some other files, dropped to 0, but only temporarily for a few minutes, then fired back up again and completed