[SOLVED] Files transferred to and from ext HD have become unusable .adage files???

vulbastick

Prominent
Sep 29, 2018
Hi all, the other day I was juggling stuff around between internal and external hard drives. When I moved the files back from the external to one of my internals every one of them had an extra bunch of info at the end of the filename, here:

.id[8C93A9C9-2253].[key6666@protonmail.com].adage

eg - Metropolis (1927).mp4.id[8C93A9C9-2253].[key6666@protonmail.com].adage

every file is now unusable even if i delete all the new text including .adage.

Anyone know anything about this? I have no idea what key6666@protonmail.com is.

many thanks

Solution
You have a ransomeware virus.

The key6666@protonmail.com is the email address you will need to contact for payment instructions should you decide to go that route.

If you have no backup to restore these files from then you only have 3 options. Work with them, wait for a decryptor to be come available (which may take years), or consider them lost forever and move on.

popatim

Titan
You have a ransomeware virus.

The key6666@protonmail.com is the email address you will need to contact for payment instructions should you decide to go that route.

If you have no backup to restore these files from then you only have 3 options. Work with them, wait for a decryptor to be come available (which may take years), or consider them lost forever and move on.

Solution

vulbastick

Prominent
Sep 29, 2018
thanks all. that makes a lot of sense, although i still have no idea how that happened to those particular files unless the ransomware is living in that external. I just deleted everything, luckily wasn't important.