Files wont open after moving them from Mac to Windows?

justinm_

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
These are the things I've done - I started by using a memory stick (exfat) to transfer the file with the audio tracks in to my laptop. I tried to open the audio files and it says this file can not be played.

So i have gone back with an external hardrive and formatted a section of that drive to be exfat and copied the files over. I then opened the audio files on my laptop and they worked but now since i got home i've turned my laptop on again and now the files are bringing up the same error message as before?

I tried plugging the HD into my PC to see if i could open it there but that pc doesn't even show the HD partitions at all? (it knows i plugged something in but it doesn't show the drive!)

I need these files for a uni project which is due soon so any help would be appreciated!

Solution
If using Windows Media Player is the only way you know how to "test" it's a lost case. There is no way to know why WMP throws up this error.
A checksum test of the files can prove an error in the file transfer or data corruption of your drive.

I suggest you try to stick the drive into another computer to see if the problem is related to the audio files or something other, like a media decoder issue.

Another possibillity is the present of some sort of malware that encrypt files and later on blackmailing the user for unlock the files.

justinm_

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016

ive tried to connect it to another computer but the pc doesnt recognize the drive although it knows somethings plugged in.