Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

can anyone tell me how to find and delete dupilicate files or is the a
program i can use to find dupicate files.

Start > Search and list all files; sort the files by name and look for
duplicates

By the way, how do you know which duplicates to discard and which to keep?

Ted Zieglar

"don" <don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can anyone tell me how to find and delete dupilicate files or is the a
> program i can use to find dupicate files.

dupfinder.exe = Duplicate File Finder
It's on your XP CD. \SUPPORT\TOOLS

How to Install the Support Tools from the Windows XP CD-ROM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306794

Heed Ted's advice!

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:1D68A0C3-E90F-4024-9FA1-FF9E7D4D8360@microsoft.com,
don <don@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> can anyone tell me how to find and delete dupilicate files or is the a
> program i can use to find dupicate files.

Windows XP has double and sometimes triple copies of files. It is there for
the "self healing" feature of the operating system. When a program
overwrites a system file it is automatically replaced with a known good copy
from the "bank".

Remove them and you will be causing potential problems down the road!

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)