Fileserver to Stream 1080 Movies w/raid

davomyster

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
I'm building a fileserver to host my video collection, many of which are 1080p resolution. My plan is to buy 5 x 2 TB hard drives and arrange them in a RAID 5 configuration. I'm going to use this file server to stream videos to my xbox, so I want to be sure that the file server will be able to keep up with the 15Mbit+ video stream required to watch a 1080p h.264 file without stuttering.

I'm trying to determine which hard drives I should purchase. Would a 5400 RPM drive be too slow for this purpose? I know RAID 5 is relatively good for sequential reads, but I'm worried that a RAID 5 array of 5400 RPM drives might lead to stuttering of video. On the other hand, 5 x 7200 RPM drives would be more expensive, and I'm worried about the heat.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Any thoughts, comments, or ideas would be much appreciated!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Assuming you have a wired network and a fairly decent CPU/memory the 5400RPM drives should do just fine performance-wise. They will also help with your noise and heat generation as well.

I wouldn't recommend streaming 1080 via wireless. Some say it is fine, but it will (not a debate) be "glitchy" from time to time.

Good luck!!!

sub mesa

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
5400rpm goes up to 140MB/s while 15 megabit = 2MB/s. So no reason 5400rpm drives can't handle a single stream; the latest 5400rpm are faster than the first Velociraptor.

But you may have to adjust the buffering levels in your mediaplayer if you get stutters now and then; that would be a sign of insufficient buffering.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS