LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
hay guys, i was talking to some guy the other day and he said that there are differences in hardware between some graphic cards that are important to quality, he said that there are "filters" on each card and some have better one's then others.
all the years i was here i never heard of such thing, some 1 lighten me up on the issue plz..thx.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LoveGuRu on 05/03/02 05:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
some opinions would be apritiated..

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I don't know about filters, but Radeon cards supposidly have better 2D picture than Nvidia cards although the GF4 seemed to have helped Nvidia catch up a bit. I'm not really sure about the filters, but probably has something to do with the picture quality by filtering out things. Does the filters really matter to you or are you just wondering about which card has the best picture quality?

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
no i was actually refering to OEMs then to different companies, he told me each OEM makes its own filters (some hardware component) which do effect the picture quality, this as he told me the importand difference between cards using the same chip.

plz if some one even heard about it do reply.
even if your sure its BS tell me so,thx.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
There are RFI (radio frequency interference) filters on video cards. These prevent video cards from emitting noise that can be picked up by television (for sets without cable reception) and radio. The problem is if the filters are of cheap quality they degrade the signal to the monitor. Some nVidia based cards were notorious for this problem but it varies by manufacturer.

The Inquirer has a related story about this which states that nVidia will, in the future, be taking actions to encourage all nVidia partners to maintain a quality level. (It's about time). Read the article <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/29040212.htm" target="_new">here</A>.

Video quality issues have existed since the TNT2 days (or earlier). Out of neccessity people have taken to modifying their own Geforce cards (myself included) to improve the visual quality. See <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/porotuner/imagequality.html#26sep2000" target="_new">this article</A> on how to make such a modification. Notice that it dates to September 2000.

You can also learn more on this at the forums at Hardocp.com where people discuss modifying there cards including Geforce3'. I haven't seen any messages about Geforce4 mods.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
so every independent OEM makes its own?
how would i know which one is on mine then?
my card is ELSA Gladiac 920(GF3 original), are they really that image influensive?

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
are they really that image influensive?
I can't answer that. I haven't seen that many cards to compare. I can say that if it isn't bothering you then don't worry about.

My OEM Geforce2 was a little blurry at 1024x768. It wasn't that bad but this is the resolution I use most often so it was beginning to annoy me. This is especially true because my old Geforce256 was sharper at that resolution.

After the mod the card was sharp at 1024x768 and 1280x1024. It was so much better that I even modified the old card which I still use. I also modified an old Ati All-in-Wonder (Rage not Radeon). This card wasn't as bad as the Geforce cards and the improvement wasn't as noticable but it was still improved.

My two Geforce cards were OEM versions. Perhaps retail cards are made to better standards. The article that I linked to earlier implied that some cards are only affected at higher resolutions, 1280x1024 and up. That told me that the problem varied by card or manufacturer and by degree. So like I said, if it doesn't appear to be a problem on your card then their is nothing to worry about.

None of my cards were worth more than $65 at the time I modified them so it wouldn't have been a big loss if I botched it. A Geforce3 is more valuable and wouldn't be worth the risk of modifying, not to me, unless the problem was severe as with my Geforce2.

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
so what your saying is that the bluriness is not noticable with the GF3, unlike the GF2 and the cards that came b4 it?

to tell you the truth, many years i am a hardware savvy and never heard about moding graphic cards, didnt know that there are filters installed on each card that the companies decide..
intresting stuff, give me some liks if you have plz.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
</font color=green>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Did you read the article?

The main problem has never been in the GPU. With the filtering removed Geforce2's have good visual quality. It is true that the Geforce3's and later have a better RAMDAC but this just pushes the problem up to even higher resolutions. Poor filtering can still ruin any video card.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
so what your saying is that the bluriness is not noticable with the GF3, unlike the GF2 and the cards that came b4 it?
I didn't say that at all. The Geforce3 has a better RAMDAC so the problem might not be seen until higher resolutions like 1600x1200 but possibly as low as 1280x1024. It all depends on how bad the filters are. If you only use 1024x768 then you might not see the problem or if your card has better filters then it may not be a problem at all. If the filters are really bad you will see the problem on any card.

Sorry I don't have any more links regarding this particular mod, or any other mods for that matter. I do know there are other kinds of video card mods. There are voltage mods for overclocking and also for stability. There are cooling mods. There are Geforce to Quadro mods. Can't think of any other mods but there probably are more.