Question Final advice needed on PC upgrade

Robby Shorts

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
59
0
4,540
1
PREVIOUS THREADS (for context):
Original post: [link]
Second post: [link]

Hello gentlemen,
Over these past few weeks I've been deciding on what parts to get, in order to upgrade my current PC (build here). At first, I was pretty dead set on upgrading my CPU to a i7-7700K, my GPU to a Asus Strix 1660 ti, and then upgrading my CPU cooler to one that could support the 7700K better then my current 212 EVO.

However, with Amazon prime day right around the corner, I saw that there is a deal on the i7-9700K for only $10 more then the i7-7700K (in my country) and now I'm undecided as to how to upgrade my PC.

Option A: Upgrade CPU to a i7-7700K, upgrade CPU cooler to one that could support the 7700K, and then upgrade GPU to a Asus ROG Strix 1660ti. This option totals to be around $750 depending on the CPU cooler. [BUILD]
OR
Option B: Upgrade CPU to a i7-9700K, upgrade CPU cooler to one that could support the 9700K, and then get a new motherboard, as my current one does not support the 9700K. This option totals to be around $550 depending on CPU cooler and motherboard. [BUILD]

The aim for this upgrade, is to get better frame rates/performance across the board for the various games I play. I would also like to "future proof" my PC for just a few more years.

I believe that option B will be cheaper for me over all right now, however I would still have to get a new GPU down the line if I went with opt. B, something like a 2070 within a few months.

For both options, I also have no clue what cooler to get, since many of the "good ones" don't fit in my case. And if I went with opt. B, I have no clue what MB to get, although I would be biased towards and Asus or Asrock MB.

Thoughts / comments ? Thanks guys
 
Last edited:
Nit picker here. It is an i7-7900k you're referring to and the 9700k is a typo, right? (Your point still stands on needing a new motherboard either way.)

I'm not sure how B will work out cheaper as you'd need a new motherboard. If you're changing motherboard you may as well start looking at a newer platform.

You don't mention in this thread what your aim of this upgrade is, but it sounds like you're referring to a previous thread. Be handy for those who don't know about any previous discussions to have the same information relevant here.
 

Robby Shorts

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
59
0
4,540
1
Nit picker here. It is an i7-7900k you're referring to and the 9700k is a typo, right? (Your point still stands on needing a new motherboard either way.)

I'm not sure how B will work out cheaper as you'd need a new motherboard. If you're changing motherboard you may as well start looking at a newer platform.

You don't mention in this thread what your aim of this upgrade is, but it sounds like you're referring to a previous thread. Be handy for those who don't know about any previous discussions to have the same information relevant here.
Hi, thank you for pointing out these errors to me, I fixed the typos (I was meaning to refer to the 9700K, not the 7900K). Also elaborated on the prices for both options, and reasons for upgrading, along with previous posts for context. Thank you!
 
That makes more sense overall now. With the i5-7600k there's only so many frames it can draw. Depending on the games additional cores/threads will help, and it seems with the games you play there would be better performance.

With graphics cards being the easiest component to upgrade you could delay it. The GTX 1060 should still be able to tide you over until then.

As for pricing have you looked at the Ryzen 3000 series? Might be worth considering too.
 

Robby Shorts

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
59
0
4,540
1
That makes more sense overall now. With the i5-7600k there's only so many frames it can draw. Depending on the games additional cores/threads will help, and it seems with the games you play there would be better performance.

With graphics cards being the easiest component to upgrade you could delay it. The GTX 1060 should still be able to tide you over until then.

As for pricing have you looked at the Ryzen 3000 series? Might be worth considering too.
Thanks for your input, I'm assuming that you believe "Option B" is better?
And I agree that the 1060 could hold me over for a few more months, until an eventual upgrade.
I've never looked into the Ryzen 3000 series, as a master of fact I barely know anything about AMD components, always had intel / nvidia all my life. I'll definitely check it out though, thanks!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS