Question Final Build Stage: Drivers?

Haliax68

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
Hey everyone, I’m finally in the build phase of my very first PC build. Almost all my parts are here already, just waiting on the last few pieces to arrive today and Thursday. Already started taking apart the case and moving stuff around for how I'm going to want to set it up. Super excited! This coming weekend it’s on baby! And just wanted to thank all of you who have helped me so far and answered questions, taught me stuff. I'm really learning a lot and appreciate all your help.

But one thing I didn’t realize is that I’m going to probably need to download some drivers for certain hardware/peripherals? It looks like most sites/videos say the Mobo is the main one. But could also be a few other things such as RGB, GPU (not installing a GPU at this time, possibly down the road, but not now), keyboard, mouse, etc?

So my question now is, how do I know which drivers I need to download from the Gigabyte website for my Mobo? It’s the AM4 B550 Vision D-P. I see 24 different drivers for Audio, Chipset, LAN, SATA, Thunderbolt and WLAN+BT! And just wondering how do I know which ones of those I need to download and install? And if you can explain HOW you know which ones I need to download, so I can learn, that would also be great. Thanks

Here is the link to the full list of all the drivers they have on their site for my Mobo:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-VISION-D-P-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver

Parts for build:
-Ryzen 5 AM4 5600G chip
-Gigabyte AM4 B550 Vision D-P Mobo
-Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RT 2x16=32gb 3600MHz memory
-Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 1tb NVMe SSD
-And some Lian Li aRGB fans

Usually all the stuff for the motherboard you need will load with Windows. Then after running Windows update. Check the optional updates for driver updates for the motherboard.

Sometimes the manufacturer ones will be better or include utilities. Sometimes the MS ones will be generic ones that work while the manufacturer ones will be specific. All Gigabyte is doing is listing every revision of the drivers. Just look at the dates and download the most recent ones. If you see two different items under one heading. For instance LAN lists the Intel i225 and Realtek LAN. Install the most recent version of each. If you try to install a driver you don't need. It either won't finish or will finish and not do anything. As it won't find a matching hardware ID for any drivers in the installer. The drivers won't get loaded.

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
get windows installed, run windows update until it comes back with no updates, and then finally look and see what might be needed still.

open device manager and look for yellow exclamation points. it will tell you what does not have a driver installed if anything, and then you go to the site and download the newest driver for that part.

windows update does real well these getting it all and rarely will you need to look elsewhere.

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor
Cool, some, not many, and all of them. That clears it up, haha
What exactly is not clear?
You need all the drivers. You need latest version of each driver.
Older driver versions are not necessary. Get only latest version.

For example
Realtek HD Audio Driver. There are several driver versions available.
[6.0.9235.1]
[6.0.9225.1]
[6.0.9126.1]
Choose latest version - highest version number, latest driver date.
[6.0.9235.1]

Do same thing for each other driver type:
AMD Chipset drivers,​
AMD APU driver,​
Intel LAN drive,​
Realtek LAN driver,​
RAID drivers - those are not necessary (unless you intend to do RAID),​
Thunderbolt driver,​
Intel WIFI driver,​
Intel Bluetooth driver.​
When installing drivers, always start with chipset drivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
MY build process:

Before anything, while waiting for your parts to be delivered, download
and read, cover to cover your case and motherboard manual.
Buy a long #2 magnetic tip philips screwdriver.
A small led flashlight is also useful.

I find it handy to buy a power switch like this for testing.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168121..._switch-_-12-119-009-_-Product&quicklink=true
1. I assemble the critical parts outside of the case.
That lets me test them for functionality easily.
A wood table or cardboard is fine.
2. Plug in only the necessary parts at first. Ram, cpu, cooler, psu.
Do not force anything. Parts fit only one way.
Attach a monitor to the integrated motherboard adapter if you have one, otherwise to the graphics card.
  1. If your motherboard does not have a PWR button, momentarily touch the two pwr front panel pins with a flat blade screwdriver.
  2. Repeatedly hit F2 or DEL, and that should get you into the bios display.
  3. Boot from a cd or usb stick with memtest86 on it. memtest will exercise your ram and cpu functionality.
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.

Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.
Normally, one does not update a bios unless there is a fix for something that is impacting you. I violate this rule on a new build and will update to currency up front.
If there is a severe problem, the impact is small.

1. Install windows.
  2. Install the motherboard cd drivers. Particularly the lan drivers so you can access the internet.
Do not select the easy install option, or you will get a bunch of utilities and trialware that you don't want. Drivers only.
  1. Connect to the internet and install an antivirus program. Microsoft defender is free, easy, and unobtrusive.
  2. Install your graphics card and driver if you tested with integrated graphics.
You will need to remove the graphics card later to install your motherboard in the case.
As a tip when screwing the motherboard into the posts, give the screw a small counterclockwise turn until you feel a click.
That lets you know that the screw will engage properly.
Make a note of how the graphics card latches into the pcie slot.
The mechanism will be hidden under the card and may be difficult to work if you have not previously checked how.
  1. Update windows to currency.
  2. Only now do I take apart what I need to and install it in the case.
  3. Now is the time to reinstall your graphics card.
  4. Opinions vary on updating the bios. On a new build, I will update to currency right away. My thought is that I have no big loss if
I encounter a problem. Use the usb option, not the windows option.

Reactions: Haliax68