Question Final Check on $2,000 4K Gaming Rig About to hit the button

adam61

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Took advice of several here and moved to a AMD based build. No parts are placeholders. Parts showing $0 I own and will be harvesting. (Selling the 980ti to make up some of that cost) I am doing this because my wife needs a new machine and I can use all the guts I'm not harvesting to do it for free.

I will then get what I hope is a NOTICEABLE increase in power as my 2x980ti in SLI have been feeling lackluster in current games at 4K, 6700k is current processor. Budget is $2,000, but $400 in parts come from prior machine so $1,600 in new components and I am about $100 under that with tax with US Texas purchase.

Here's the build and my final questions below:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CdFsyX

1) Only big remaining question was 2070S/2080/2080S. After digging what I felt like was a ton, the 2080's aren't dropping near where they would be competition for that 2070S on any kind of value front. And most early results show the 2080S with much smaller improvements than the other "Super" cards and would be $700-800. Any reason to wait to see how this plays out?

2) Is this a good choice of X570 Mobo and 2070S GPU? And will it give me the speed to really feel over my current setup?

3) Any big misses or last day suggestions I should seriously think about?

Lutfij

Titan
In this day and age, do you really need an optical drive? I see you've changed to the AMD camp, after this thread, but still have that case. If you could look at Fractal Cases, that would be a bit better in terms of build quality.

Your PCPP listing shows your build at 305USD...that's, spectacular in terms of build cost :D

adam61

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
In this day and age, do you really need an optical drive? I see you've changed to the AMD camp, after this thread, but still have that case. If you could look at Fractal Cases, that would be a bit better in terms of build quality.

Your PCPP listing shows your build at 305USD...that's, spectacular in terms of build cost :D

That PCPP Link is still working for me. I've included a snip at the bottom in case something is strange with it. Should be $1,388.75+Tax. The optical drive is harvested as is the case. If it's a really poor case in today's world I can definitely accept suggestions for others, but it seemed to fit all the new parts and I've not had real airflow issues.

Any other advice, questions, or thumbs up before I hit the button and buy the whole set?

View: https://imgur.com/a/zji9CIK