Final check on a gaming build if anyone wants to comment.

XxBurntOrangexX

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
So I've been kicking around the idea of building myself a PC. I think that I have come up with the final build and was wondering what you guys thought of it. I'm hoping that it will be able to play games on max settings for atleast two years and yes I did plan on buying a second GTX 580 eventually, those things aren't cheap. So if anyone has any comments or ideas I would love to hear them. Also if you have any ideas for things that I could add on in the future to make it do more that would be cool. So here's what I've planned out so far.

GPU: ASUS ENGTX580 - $499.99

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz - $314.99

Mobo: ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) - $229.99

Monitor - ASUS VH238H Black 23" - $179.99

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel - $169.99

HDDs: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB - $74.99
Seagate Momentus XT - $99.99

PSU: Antec CP-1000 - $134.99

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM $99.99

CPU Cooling - Antec Kuhler H2O 920 - $129.99

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - $99.99

Keyboard: Logitech G510 - $104.99

DVD/CD Writer: Lite-On LightScribe - $24.99

Tools: Rosewill RTK-045 45 Piece Premium Computer Tool Kit - $19.99

Total = $2184.86

And just a two side notes, I've already bought the mouse so no worries there and if anyone can find where I can buy that Antec Kuhler 920 I would really appreciate it. They were suppose to be out last month and to my surprise newegg doesn't have them stocked.

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
You have alot of nice components there. I just have a few questions for you. Why choose the 2600k when you going to be gaming? You really only need it if your gonna be folding or using high cpu intensive applications involving rendering and such. I would suggest you get the 2500k and put that 100 smackers towards more gpu power.

If you are going to buy a 580 I would suggest buying evga or msi. evga has the best customer service you will receive. msi has the best aftermarket cooler. Asus' isnt a bad card, but if you are gonna spend the money for a 580 why not choose the best?

My only other suggestion is on the cpu cooler. I have not really heard alot about it but I would personally choose a cpu cooler that has been proven the test of time. For instance the Noctua NH14. It is probably the best cooling option for cpu's available besides putting your cpu under water.

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Why not go with the GTX 590 instead of the 580? Its twice the graphical horse power for only $200 more. Additionally, you might consider adding a second monitor to take advantage of the GPU you have selected there.

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Because the 590 is a novelty. It is a pair of gtx 460s (last generation gpu) strapped onto a single board and labeled as a duel gpu 590. You would be better off buying 2 gtx 570s and sliing them. This would give you a 20-40% overall performance jump over a 590.

Stick with the 580 which can be had for around 450$ if you search the net for 10 mins. That card will last you atleast 2-3 years at the end of that time if you start to feel that it is not up to par with whats currently on the market then buy a second one for a fraction of the price and sli or sell it and pick up your next gpu.

Dont shell out the extra cash for the 590 its not worth it.

XxBurntOrangexX

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Sorry I just found out that tom's moved the thread to the systems, that's what you get for being a newbie to a site. And I was thinking of eventually "sli"ing another 580, so that should most definetly keep me around max settings for atleast 2-3 years right?
Anyways about why the i7-2600k, I do like to the future proofing of having the best but also I'm going into electrical engineering. I don't know if I will for sure go into the architectural side of engineering but in case I do I would like a CPU that could handle the heavier rendering programs. Well I think those programs mainly put the toll on your CPU and RAM, you might know more than me, so if they don't please tell me.
The reason I am wanting to go with the Antec kuhler 920 is that it is showing so pretty promising results from what I've heard. I'm also the kind of guy that likes to keep brands kind of together, hence the ASUS mobo with the ASUS GPU and the Antec case, psu, CPU cooler; we all have our quarks, thats just mine.
I really do appreciate the advice though guys. You are definitely making me think.

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
The main reason people recommend different components is because certain companies specialize in different areas. Asus is the largest mobo provider, they still make nice video cards but they are most well known for their mother boards. EVGA is very well known for its graphics cards and customer service, they still make good mobos as well. That is the logic behind combining different components from different companies.

You will be fine using a 2600k or even a 2500k for any CAD work (it will be CAD I am assuming if you are doing engineering). Dont invest in the x58 socket, it is being phased out and you will regret investing in it I promise. The 2600k in many cases is actually faster then the i7-extreme edition (used to be intel crown 1 grand chip).

CAD is mainly graphic and RAM intensive, yes you want a good cpu but unless you are going to run multiple CADs along with other applications as well then you do not need more then a quality quad core processor. The hyper threading of the 2600k is a bonus, but it is not some thing that you will notice an intense difference with. The reason for this is because hyper threading is just on the rise, sadly many applications do not take advantage of it yet but give it a year or so and it will be the norm.

You will be fine with the 580 for atleast 2-3 years with a single gpu let alone 2 of these flagships.

XxBurntOrangexX

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
"You will be fine using a 2600k or even a 2500k for any CAD work (it will be CAD I am assuming if you are doing engineering). Dont invest in the x58 socket, it is being phased out and you will regret investing in it I promise. The 2600k in many cases is actually faster then the i7-extreme edition (used to be intel crown 1 grand chip)."

I'm coming to a blank at the moment but what does the x58 socket apply to? Is it the Mobo?

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
x58 or the lga 1366 socket refers to the last generation i7 platform, for instance the bloomfield i7-950. These are considered the extreme oc'ers platform or just high end user. Mainly because it used to be (still is a little) far more expensive to build a rig on this platform. Triple channel memory, x58 mobos start at 200+, i7 started around 350+. Prices have come down but that is because it is older technology. Well fall swings around you will see the new ivy bridge hitting the market which will be intels new extreme end cpu's and will again cost you an arm and a leg XD

Hope this helps, if you have more questions feel free to ask.

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Sorry for second post, forgot this to say this when I looked back. You will recieve a higher performance boost from putting a quadro gpu into your system rather then upgrading you cpu and mobo to the highest end. At least for CAD work. quadro's are sort of impractical though unless you are an architect or use cad for a living full time. Any gtx 200+ series from nvidia will suit your needs I am thinking.

XxBurntOrangexX

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Ya a buddy of mine was telling me about the quadros. I understand their function but it just seems odd to me that they still don't preform on games as well as the gtx series. I would think for that much money it would do everything including your essays for you. :kaola: So what I'm understanding that you are saying though is to just wait for ivy bridge to come out? I'm also guessing we should see the nvidia 600 series come out around that time and that means a drop in the 580's price?

preolt

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
I would probably just get a sandy bridge cpu, I really dont think your gonna need the ivy bridge specs. Plus it is gonna cost you your left nut when it first comes out.

If nvidia releases a new series this year it will be in november or around then. Prices will fluctuate downward as it gets closer.