FINAL CHECKOFF - 2000$ Audio Build

fea5t

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
This is my final checkoff before I buy this exact build. If you think I should change anything in any way let me know now!!! The total budget is ~2000 and this computer will be used for massive amounts of recording and rendering of audio. Especially CPU intensive rendering of multiple GB+ sized libraries in real time. Disk 1 is for the OS, Disk 2 for sound libraries, and Dick 3 is for files. 16gb ram is a must. I will be running two 1080p monitors and may add a second gpu in the future for more monitors. This computer will be located 30+ feet away from my desk but must be silent at that distance when idle and as silent as possible when banging 100% load.

This being the case I have chosen these components so let me know what you think or if I can improve...

Case: 200-250$ Silverstone FT-02 or RV-02
MoBo: 260$ ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA 1155 Intel P67
PSU: 190$ CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850
RAM: 190$ G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz, 8-8-8-24

CPU: 300$ Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
GPU: 270$MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit

SSD: 285$ Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
HDD: 130$tot 2 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM

CPU Cooler:

160$ XSPC Rasa 750 RX240 WaterCooling Kit - Supports all CPU sockets
10$ Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
10$ 7/16in. ID (5/8in. OD) Durelene General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing
10$ Feser Aqua Ultra Pure Non-Conductive Water

Quieter case fans/gpu/radiator fans anyone?

striker410

Distinguished
Nice build, but a few things.
-Don't get the WS! It's expensive, and there isn't a big benefit to it.
DONT BUY THAT SSD! It's slow! I would much rather go with one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726&cm_re=ocz_agility_3-_-20-227-726-_-Product Compare the speeds. It's not even a fair contest!

Next thing is that the case is not really of the "silent" variety as much as the "badass gamer case" variety. Pick from one of these and you should be good: http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/567-antec-sonata-iv-lian-li-pc-b25s-silverstone-raven-2-evolution.html

And that's my short list. I would also drop to a Corsair 850HX, but that's up to you.

Same with HDD's! Overpriced and slow. You will be better of with a pair of Spinpoint F3's: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&Tpk=spinpoint%20f3 Faster/cheaper.

Next, why 16GB of ram? I know you know your needs, but right now I think you'd be 100% ok.

fea5t

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Thanks for the feedback.

-I heard the WS version is the only one that will run two x16 PCI slots for dual GPU's as opposed to 1x16 and 1x8 PCI. I also heard that the heat sinks were designed to be left on 24/7. And I run my machine hard about 16/7 so....

-Anandtech said that the 510 is the best non sandforce based SSD. Apparently there is a very large number of OCZ sandfoce based SSD's that black screen of death on a regular basis and that OCZ is blatantly refusing any returns or recalls on their SSD's. I CAN NOT risk black screen of death. I wont be transferring large amounts of data in and out of my SSD so I really only care about how snappy it is. Any thoughts on the matter?

-As far as cases go I'm not really sure. I can't imagine that a case would make a lot of difference. It's either a fairly closed case with fast fans or an open case with slow ones right? I was going for max-airflow and lots of high quality massively undervolted fans. And the nzxt has a fan controller built in.

-Uh, that drive has half the cache, and is 3.0gbps instead of 6.0....yet its faster? AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! How?

-That PSU is 15$ less...whats the difference? Will I be okay adding a 2nd 560ti later on?

-Yeah, I really really need the ram. I have been dying for more ram and am at 8GB at the office/4 at home. When working on a project I break 4gb multiple times a day and often easily break 8 at work when loading in 3 or 4 3gb libraries. When you don't have enough ram, and you need more ram - things come crashing down. If I cant load the library that I need to load, then I am am forced to seek alternatives. Terrible, terrible alternatives.

I take it you like the GPU lol?

And whats the trick to getting my pic to upload on this site. I keep getting an error, even though its resized to 85x85 in a .jpg.

striker410

Distinguished
Mobo: Yes it does run 16x-16x. But all you need is 8x8x, you will not see any benefits to 16x on both slots. I'll edit this post if I find the Tom's article to back up my claims.

-Granted OCZ did have some major reliability issues. That was specific to the 28NM versions, which have been almost completely phased out. And I have not heard anything of the sort about OCZ refusing returns so I'm not sure where you got that from. I have heard they are happily exchanging any faulty drives. I'm not worried about OCZ, they can't take another hit to their stock.

and a case makes a HUGEEEEE difference! Huge! HUGGGEEEE! What it does is silence the internal components. The cases I linked are all very good silent cases. You said silence was a priority, so not sure what you are thinking with the NZXT really.
-fan controllers are like $15, not a big deal.

The drive is faster because of denser platters/better design. WD has become a total hosejob with their drives, since they've become more popular.
32MB vs 64MB will only help slightly when moving large files. Not enough to sacrifice the speed.
And ahh, 6.0GB/s.... On HDD's, that feature is nothing but a lousy cash grab. an HDD CANNOT saturate the 3.0GB/s line AT ALL! HDD's run around 120MB/s at max, and the 3.0GB/s can take about 280MB/s. It's a marketing gimmick to get you to buy their drives. Very cheap and sleazy in my opinion.

And alright, you know much better than me on the ram.

The GPU is ok. Since this is not a gaming/video editing super high power PC, it should be just fine.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

fea5t

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
-I have switched to the samsung HDD's.

-What about the vertex 3's? Better than agility? Max IOPS? Worth the premium? Also, I head something about compression degrading performance in certain SSD's. Know anything about that?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4421/the-2011-midrange-ssd-roundup

-Alright, the nzxt is out - which cases would you look into out of the roundup you listed? Need something that will fit a 240mm radiator! Any thoughts on a good fan controller? Preferably something I dont have to monitor - something that will watch temps and adjust fans as necessary? Does that even exist?

-Which motherboard should I get in place of the WS?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131701&cm_re=p67-_-13-131-701-_-Product

?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131704&cm_re=p67-_-13-131-704-_-Product

?

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
FEAST, a 16 X 16 mobo only shows improved graphics in multiple mnonitor setups. With a single monitor an 8 X 8 can even outperform a 16 X 16. So the ASUS P67 Rev. is overkill.

Now for the question of silence. A water/liquid cooled rig is quieter than an air cooled rig because, although water cooling still uses fans the radiator system can operate cooler and more efficiently than air cooling. The Antec H20 620 and 690 kill the air coolers for noise when compared on the basis of cooling. See this article: http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=articles&id=442&pagenumber=7

As for quiet fans, the larger the fan the less RPM needed to do comparable cooling. A 200 mm fan can run at about half the RPM of a 120 mm fan for the same dB output.

I chose the Corsair 600 T case because it provides both good cooling and low noise. I took out the top 200 mm fan and put in two 120 Xigmatek fans rated at <20 dB. I used another Xigmatek with the native Antec H20 620 fan for a push-pull config on the radiator. All of the fans are quiet, and I can hear the birds chirping and crickets over my rig late at night (even with the windows closed).

Get a case that has solid side panels for noise reduction. You can even add some noise dampening foam to the side panels for reduction of echo/reverb.

The biggest noise in any rig is when the fans cause cavitation and the air makes noise like a stiff wind through a pine forest.

fea5t

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
- I will be using multi-monitor exclusively. 2 x 1080p viewsonics on that single gpu. I might add a 2nd gpu and 2 more monitors at a later time...

-I am using water cooling.

-Why did you replace a 200 with two 120's if a 200 is quieter?

-How can I avoid cavitation?

striker410

Distinguished
Well what do ya know. The Intel 510 performs pretty well, even beating the agility 3 in some areas. Either the 510 or the agility 3 will work. I must have been thinking of the Intel 320, my bad for the confusion.

Not sure about the Vertex 3's. I'm gonna suggest you start an entirely new thread over in the Storage section for more precise feedback. I'm no expert on SSD's, they can help you with that question.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
I replaced the 200 mm with two 120 mm because they provide 60+ cfm while the 200 mm only provides about 80 cfm airflow.

You avoid cavitation by operating your fans at low to moderate RPM. At highest RPM the airflow spoils itself and becomes loud.

fea5t

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

Yes, but as you said, more efficient = quieter. And if I am at the point of silence, then I will overclock until I approach that threshold.

5.0ghz lol?

fea5t

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

Will that get you a quieter machine due to reduced rpm or simply more airflow?

fea5t

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

I heard that the asus's have better voltage stepping and overclock better? Lol I am really stumbling around in the dark here. I also don't need any of the features of the Z68 over the P67 so if money can be saved there then I would prefer it. Also, what about Ivy Bridge? I know that the z68 chipset will support the next gen processors but will the P67?