Question Final choice selection

finwizz

Reputable
Mar 3, 2019
Need to choose between- both are 2 x 16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz

G-Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200MHz CL16 and Corsair Vengence LPX 32Gb. Both are, on their respective QVLs, are approved for Asus Strix-E boards.

Which one should I opt for please?

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Does this still stand when I note that G-skill is 2015 and Corsair is released in June 2019?
Yes, because the speed and the CAS Latency are reflective of the speeds and clock cycles to access a set of data. So ultimately it is mostly irrespective of the date of the RAM.

You might find the newer ones may be better binned for example, but ultimately if you want performance, just better speed and CAS.

Reactions: finwizz

finwizz

Reputable
Mar 3, 2019
Yes, because the speed and the CAS Latency are reflective of the speeds and clock cycles to access a set of data. So ultimately it is mostly irrespective of the date of the RAM.

You might find the newer ones may be better binned for example, but ultimately if you want performance, just better speed and CAS.

Thanks a lot. Still cannot choose between these two - both are DDR4 3200Mhz. Cas are:

GS : 16 18 18 38

Corsair: 16 18 18 36

Does 38 vs 36 make a lot of difference? Is Corsair a budget "brand"?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks a lot. Still cannot choose between these two - both are DDR4 3200Mhz. Cas are:

GS : 16 18 18 38

Corsair: 16 18 18 36

Does 38 vs 36 make a lot of difference? Is Corsair a budget "brand"?
That's the tRAS (active to precharge delay) which in effect is the number of clock cycles that must elapse before another command can be acted on. Technically lower is better but you likely won't notice a difference.

So technically speaking on that basis the Corsair is better, but I would still just opt for what is cheapest of the 2.

Corsair is an excellent brand, by no means budget at all, they are one of the best players in the game.

Reactions: finwizz

TRENDING THREADS