final cut express project file not opening

trustno1

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

I cant believe this. I have been learning FCE for a little while and
the first thing I learned was to save the project file to my
harddrive. I keep my work files on a firewire external drive. Has
been working great. I started a new project yesterday, worked for 8
hours on it, then saved and exited. BUT... I saved the project file
to the external drive!! Now I cannot open the project file. I have
tried to move the project file to my harddrive and open it, but no
luck.

ANY SUGGESSTIONS?!?!?!?!?!?

"trustno1" <gasolineman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I cant believe this. I have been learning FCE for a little while and
> the first thing I learned was to save the project file to my
> harddrive. I keep my work files on a firewire external drive. Has
> been working great. I started a new project yesterday, worked for 8
> hours on it, then saved and exited. BUT... I saved the project file
> to the external drive!! Now I cannot open the project file. I have
> tried to move the project file to my harddrive and open it, but no
> luck.
>
> ANY SUGGESSTIONS?!?!?!?!?!?

Buy a PC?

(It is what all the fruit people always say when PC users
have similar complaints about Premire, etc. :)

See if there is an autosave vault in your user/documents folder. not sure if
FCE has an autosave feature. FCP does.. and it comes in handy often.

ALSO!! make it a habit to save your file with a new name or number every few
hours or so.. Turn on that autosave feature if it is off.. Or you will lose
data and hard work.

nappy wrote:
> See if there is an autosave vault in your user/documents folder. not sure if
> FCE has an autosave feature. FCP does.. and it comes in handy often.

Also.. he can check to see if he saved it in the right place. I noticed
that after saving something totally different on the desktop, it changed
my default saving directly. Thus, I accidentally saved it into another
off hand directory, and I thought that I lost everything once. Turns
out it was just saved into a remote area.

> ALSO!! make it a habit to save your file with a new name or number every few
> hours or so.. Turn on that autosave feature if it is off.. Or you will lose
> data and hard work.

Definitely. Organization is one of the key factors in being a great
editor.

-Richard

"trustno1" <gasolineman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I cant believe this. I have been learning FCE for a little while and
> the first thing I learned was to save the project file to my
> harddrive. I keep my work files on a firewire external drive. Has
> been working great. I started a new project yesterday, worked for 8
> hours on it, then saved and exited. BUT... I saved the project file
> to the external drive!! Now I cannot open the project file. I have
> tried to move the project file to my harddrive and open it, but no
> luck.
>
> ANY SUGGESSTIONS?!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah. Don't wait 8 hours before saving.

trustno1

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

"James Messick" <jmessick@triad.rr.com> wrote in message news:

I may have missed this one, but I am not stupid. I had been saving
every 15 minutes. Its just that the project file was being saved onto
the external drive.

> Yeah. Don't wait 8 hours before saving.

It sounds crazy but I've saved my bacon a couple of times on FCP by just
duplicating the project file (Edit>duplicate in the finder). For some
reason, the duplicate would open when the original wouldn't.

Another, more tedious method, is to move the source files elsewhere, and try
to open the project so everything's offline--then start relinking one file
at a time--if it's one single corrupted source file that's stopping the
whole show, you may be able to figure it out that way and eliminate the
culprit.

Dave Eisenstark

THE WEDNESDAY NIGHT SAVE-THE-WORLD SOCIETY
http://www.smartindiefilms.com

MONKEY LOVE
http://www.monkeylove-themovie.com

TRENDING THREADS