[SOLVED] Final Revisions

Solution
Well to be fair, you did say final revision, lol. But I'd still opt for the 32Gb right off the batt, Ryzens do Not like 4 dimms, you'll be running the ram at 2933MHz at absolute best with 4 sticks, if the mix even works, so purchasing 32Gb later means wasting money on the prior 16Gb.

16Gb for this level of build is a lose-lose situation, in one way or another.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
All that 'future proofing' (hate that term, but it kinda applies here) power and you opted for 16Gb of ram. That's like buying a new pair of shoes and re-using your old laces.

With as long and powerful as that setup will last, I'd have opted for 32Gb of ram, there are games out today with that as a 'recommended' option, and for sure there will be more games out tomorrow with that as not only an option, but recommended requirement.

Even with that cpu, you'll only require a 750w psu and still have extra headroom, you'll not need the 850w models. Could save some money there.

Dec 16, 2020
All that 'future proofing' (hate that term, but it kinda applies here) power and you opted for 16Gb of ram. That's like buying a new pair of shoes and re-using your old laces.

With as long and powerful as that setup will last, I'd have opted for 32Gb of ram, there are games out today with that as a 'recommended' option, and for sure there will be more games out tomorrow with that as not only an option, but recommended requirement.

Even with that cpu, you'll only require a 750w psu and still have extra headroom, you'll not need the 850w models. Could save some money there.
The 16gbs are to start off with, I definitely wouldn’t pair 16gbs of ram with a 5900x and a 3070.

I already have the power supply and a few of the other parts.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well to be fair, you did say final revision, lol. But I'd still opt for the 32Gb right off the batt, Ryzens do Not like 4 dimms, you'll be running the ram at 2933MHz at absolute best with 4 sticks, if the mix even works, so purchasing 32Gb later means wasting money on the prior 16Gb.

Solution
Dec 16, 2020

Ahh I understand. So will two sets of the same kit be sufficient? G.Skill 3600mhz 16 CAS?

Dec 16, 2020
Depends how much you're willing to spend.
A fast 4x 8GB kit, with low timings AND LEDs, is going to cost more than a 2x 16GB kit of similar specs and fluff.
Yeah I can get a kit of Trident Z Royal for about $20 less. What do you think? 4x8 or 2x16? And do you think the Trident Z Royal in silver would look good with the motherboard and the rest of the build (if I were to go for the 2x16)?

Zen 3 actually performs better with 4 dimms according to Steve at GN.
No, the difference there is not actually four sticks versus two sticks, but rather a dual-rank memory setup versus single-rank, and applies to all modern CPUs to varying degrees, not just Zen3. In the video they were showing the difference between 2x8GB and 4x8GB, but you can achieve a dual rank setup with 2x16GB as well. It doesn't have to be four sticks. Most 16GB sticks today are double-sided, while most 8GB sticks are single sided, meaning a setup using 8GB sticks typically requires twice as many ram modules to enable interleaving. The second page of this article Tom's did for Zen2 last year describes this...

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3000-best-memory-timings,6310-2.html

They also showed similar performance gains (with an i9-10900K) using a 2x16GB kit in Cyberpunk in an article just yesterday, though realistically one's performance is more likely going to be graphics limited with a 3070 in that game, unless settings are turned way down...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-memory-tested-how-much-ram-do-you-need

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah I can get a kit of Trident Z Royal for about $20 less. What do you think? 4x8 or 2x16?
Ehh, what's 20 bucks? Will the kit pay for itself?

And do you think the Trident Z Royal in silver would look good with the motherboard and the rest of the build (if I were to go for the 2x16)?
That one's subjective, thus all on you, mate.
I'm not the guy to ask regarding aesthetics: The only time I'm actually looking inside my chassis is during maintenance or I'm swapping parts out on a whim; it's out of my field of vision most of the time, even though the box is literally a few feet away...

Dec 16, 2020
Ehh, what's 20 bucks? Will the kit pay for itself?

That one's subjective, thus all on you, mate.
I'm not the guy to ask regarding aesthetics: The only time I'm actually looking inside my chassis is during maintenance or I'm swapping parts out on a whim; it's out of my field of vision most of the time, even though the box is literally a few feet away...
Ahh okay. I would go for Corsair Dominator since a lot of my hardware is Corsair (the fans and AIO, more specifically), since I can just use iCue, but that’s extremely expensive. But anyways, I’ll ask a few people about the aesthetics, I think the right choice is 2x16, I can just feel it.

Reactions: Phaaze88