Final Step

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
A month or two ago - I came to the forum and asked for help with my first build - I wanted a budget desktop. Cball1311 stepped up and provided not only a component list but incredible patience. He is tied up I think and so I hope the board can help me with what I hope is the final question......I am almost there!!!!

This morning I finished the build and loaded Windows 7 but my internet connection isn't plug and play like I hoped......haha

BTW, I did not run the disk that came with my motherboard. Do I need to do that?

The ethernet cable plugged into this desktop is the same one I tried in my new desktop.

Motherboard - ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131872

Any help - greatly appreciated!
Peter

ballerslife

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2013
Yes, you need to run the disk that came with your motherboard to install the drivers needed, such as the Internet drivers. You probably did not install a driver that is needed for Internet connection.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
All you need is the Lan driver for your mobo. No need to use the disk just get them online. Search for your mobo, find the drivers and get the Ethernet / lan driver. Then it will work.

Also, To make sure you have everything up to date. Go to start > right click computer > go to manage > click on the Device manager > anything with a yellow ??? means you don't have the driver. You'll want to clear those up ;).

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012

Thanks Guys -

I am up and running.
Downloaded Lan Driver now connected.
Downloaded Nvidia Driver for my dual display card - everything is cool....

Thank You - cBall1311
Peter

But while I have the floor.......can I ask another question?????

When I loaded Windows 7 this morning, I thought I would try to create a separate partition dedicated to isolating my OS so that if I wanted to reload the OS in the future - I could do so without formatting the entire drive. So during setup I chose 'Custom' and out of my 500GB hard drive, I allocated 200GB (it appeared to have automatically created 4 partitions in all) but now when I go into to MY COMPUTER I only see:

Local Disk (C:) 168 GB fee of 195 GB (beside my optical drive)

Soooo....How do I access the other 300GB (or at least see it) and any suggestions about what I should do next? Maybe just not get too cute and just reload Win 7 without creating partitions????

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
Here is an image of Disk Manager

ry%3D400

I assume I want to reclaim the 270 GB Unallocated space. If I right click on that space - a wizard pops up to help me create a "simple volume on a disk". Is that what I want?

Essentially does it make sense to do what I have done or should I just not worry about separating OS programs from Data? Is this the way I should doit if so?

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-unallocated-drive-space-in-windows.html

A walk through for you.

No pun intended on teh website :p it's just a nice tutorial. Also, a lot of people rely on reformatting to fix their issues. Don't get in that habit :D. Instead get in the habit of making sure you back up any and all important data, and working through the issues. Software or hardware. Rarely does it require an entire sweep of the HDD.