Final system -- please check! :)

phineas

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
Hey guys! This is my final build and I am so so so close to buying it, but I thought that I should wait for the go-ahead from some of you smart folks. This system will be used in the following ways:

computation (really need that quad core!)
gaming (the only game I really like is Battlefield... maybe Civilization too. And I would totally play WoW if it didn't ruin your life. Oh and also if it didn't cost money each month...)
other random things

Alright, so here we go:

CPU: Q6600
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
CASE: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
PSU: corsair 520w sli certified modular atx psu
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100186L Radeon X1950XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 VIVO HDCP Video Card - Retail
DVD: Sony NEC Optiarc Black 18X DVD+R 6X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 18X DVD±R DVD Burner, OEM Version - OEM
Keyboard/Mouse: Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 B2L-00047 Black 105 Normal Keys 9 Function Keys USB Ergonomics Keyboard Mouse Included - OEM

Now, a few questions... I don't have any spare cables, so do I need to buy extra SATA cables or anything?

Also, I saw somebody comment about this RAM not being good enough, but is this true? And I will want to upgrade to 4GB RAM in the future -- will I need to buy 2 sticks of 2GB, or do I have enough space to add 2GB to my existing 2GB RAM?

Thanks everybody -- you guys are very helpful.

Solariscs

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
everything looks great :) should be an amazing system. The motherboard will have all the cables you need and the PSU will have all the power connections. You don't really need anything else :).

Crucials makes really good RAM, they might have been talking about it not being registered on some motherboards though. I don't know about Gigabyte, you might want to check out their Website for compatible RAM, but most times the RAM they don't list still works.

If you wish to upgrade to 4GB you'll need to have a 64-bit OS to go along with it.

Excellent combination, probably best post of this kind this week. Sorry, we don't give trophies :)

Can only suggest two very small improvements.

Crucial Ballistix is one of the best brands, but get 2GB sticks though, not 1GB sticks. This way you can get to 8 GB later if necessary. Also compatible are OCZ Vista Upgrade, OCZ Reaper, Kingston HyperX.

I like LG DVD-RWs a lot, Sony not so much.

I wouldn't worry about cables. The mobo comes with lots of extra cables,including 4 SATA.