Final thoughts - i7-2600k build

crazynuts16

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I have compiled the following list to order and will go ahead and buy parts if i get the approval here. I would like to know if i should replace any parts to save cost or better performance or if there are any compatibility issues.

CPU : Core i7 2600K LGA 1155 280$

MOBO : Will probably get asus p8p67 pro from frys.com for 190$.

RAM : G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 100$

HSF : Stock till i start overclocking in a year

HDD : Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 60$

PSU : XFX XXX Edition P1-650X-CAG9 650W 95 - 30(rebate) = 65$

GPU : HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 130 - 30(rebate) = 100$

DVD : Samsung 22X DVD+R SATA DVD Burner with Lightscribe Technology 22$

Case : Cooler Master Elite 430 Black Mid Tower 40$

Kingwin Anti-Static wrist strap

Microcenter (cpu + hdd + dvd + static) total = 405$ with tax.

Newegg (psu + ram + gpu) total = 356$ w/tax before rebate
= 286$ after rebate

Fry's (case + mobo) total = 250$

Grand total = 940$ before rebate

I am not going to purchase anything before i get an approval over here so i really need some help. This is my first build ever so any comments will be appreciated.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Pending answers to WR2 (who apparently doesn't know how to edit a post :sarcastic: ):

HSF : Stock till i start overclocking in a year

No!! When/if you decide to replace the stock one, you will have to unplug everything and remove the motherboard from the case to do it. Might as well get a better one now (like the ever popular Coolermaster 212).

crazynuts16

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Thank you for replying so fast.

No this is not a gaming pc , this will be my high performance, which can handle anything i throw at it, future proof for the next 4 years pc, and probably a hackintosh.

Since i started building this i have been considering dropping to the 2500k but i just know that i am going to have a psychological feeling that i am missing out on performance the second i first turn the computer on.

And in regards to the mobo, i have seen the asus overclocking abilities and i also have read around that they have a longer life.

You make a good point, dxrick, i will get the 212 and install it right now. I was just a little bit afraid to do it because of having to apply the thermal paste and what not and since the stock comes with the paste applied.

I think i should be good with 5770 for 2years, what do you guys think?

@ durand1035;
Of course it won't 'hurt'. But you need to consider ALL the parts of a 'system'. If you're spending more than necessary on one part you might be missing an opportunity to improve overall performance by redirecting $$ to add performance in another part of the system. Or you could just pocket the savings if you've already got a balanced system.

For a non-gaming build the HD 5770 is maybe more GPU than you need.
Unless you have some software that can use Cuda cores (Nvidia) or Stream (ATI) GPGPU for co-processing?

In any case it will certainly be a good video card for more than 2 years.
And if you're not planning to add a 2nd HD 5770 in CrossfireX mode a 500W PSU would be plenty of power.

rainwilds

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
The 2500K in many benchmarks scores the same as the i7; in others the 2600K gets a 3% boost. Having said that none of us though how applications will utilise HyperThreading (four extra virtual cores) in the future. Seeing that you plan to use the rig four the next four years the 2600K would be a better gamble.

Unless you plan to crossfire in the future (I doubt it since your not gaming), I would just get the Asus P8P67 not the pro model which better supports Xfire at x8/x8 bandwidth.

Get rid of the anti-static strap you can ground yourself by touching metal first anyway.

If the budget works out get a cheap 64GB SSD for Windows and main apps. If too expensive consider getting another F3 and placing it in RAID 1 for security.

crazynuts16

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Thanks for all the advice,so far i have purchased the 2600k, f3 hdd, dvd rom and the anti-static strap. i know that 2 of you suggested that i can just ground myself but its just a 4 dollar peace of mind for me and i would feel safer about the build.

i plan to get an ssd as a boot drive in the future when the ssd prices settle down a bit. does anyone have a suggestion for a long lasting psu around 500 watts? or should i stick with the xfx 650

mobo, ram, hsf, psu, gpu, case to go!!!

any other tips or promotions please let me know!!!