[SOLVED] Final thoughts on case for my build

Solution
Let's see...
You've got a cpu that cares about it's operating temps, and a gpu that doesn't...
Go ahead and fill all the fan slots.

Heh... I made this more complicated than necessary. Bad habit of mine.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I was going to put them in the front panel
Yeah, there's a tradeoff for doing that. The case is preinstalled with 2 fans: a rear and top exhaust.
h500-cpu-only.png

Starting with torture tests and the NZXT H500-only data, average CPU temperature was 61 degrees Celsius over ambient in the torture test and with the stock fan configuration. Again, as a reminder, that’s dual-exhaust.
Removing the unnecessary top filter lowered that to 57.3 degrees. It’s a good thing NZXT included the filter so that it could be used in top intake configurations, but if the stock (exhaust) fan layout is used it should definitely be removed.
We left the filter in place for all other tests since that’s how the case ships. Adding a 140mm intake fan to the uppermost of the front mounts lowered CPU temperature barely more than removing the filter did, down to 56.5C, while moving both 120mm fans to the front intake slots was equivalent to removing the filter at 57.2 degrees. Exhaust-only may not be the best stock configuration, but it does leave more room for CLC options in the front.

h500-gpu-only.png

Average GPU temperature in the torture test was 52.4 degrees Celsius with the stock fan configuration, and 53C with the top filter removed, a minor change within margin of error.
Interestingly, temperature went up quite a bit with the 140mm intake fan added, up to 59.3C and 58.9C with the 120mm fans moved to front intake. This is where the the stock fan configuration starts to make sense.
NZXT chose negative pressure because this allows the GPU to draw air in through empty expansion slots, rather than relying on intake from the mostly-sealed front of the case.
When front intake fans are added, even ones pointing towards the GPU, this airflow pattern is disrupted and the GPU can no longer pull cool air in from behind the case.

Adding fans in the front of this case will lower average cpu temps, but gpu temps will actually rise.

Apr 8, 2020
Yeah, there's a tradeoff for doing that. The case is preinstalled with 2 fans: a rear and top exhaust.
h500-cpu-only.png

Starting with torture tests and the NZXT H500-only data, average CPU temperature was 61 degrees Celsius over ambient in the torture test and with the stock fan configuration. Again, as a reminder, that’s dual-exhaust.
Removing the unnecessary top filter lowered that to 57.3 degrees. It’s a good thing NZXT included the filter so that it could be used in top intake configurations, but if the stock (exhaust) fan layout is used it should definitely be removed.
We left the filter in place for all other tests since that’s how the case ships. Adding a 140mm intake fan to the uppermost of the front mounts lowered CPU temperature barely more than removing the filter did, down to 56.5C, while moving both 120mm fans to the front intake slots was equivalent to removing the filter at 57.2 degrees. Exhaust-only may not be the best stock configuration, but it does leave more room for CLC options in the front.

h500-gpu-only.png

Average GPU temperature in the torture test was 52.4 degrees Celsius with the stock fan configuration, and 53C with the top filter removed, a minor change within margin of error.
Interestingly, temperature went up quite a bit with the 140mm intake fan added, up to 59.3C and 58.9C with the 120mm fans moved to front intake. This is where the the stock fan configuration starts to make sense.
NZXT chose negative pressure because this allows the GPU to draw air in through empty expansion slots, rather than relying on intake from the mostly-sealed front of the case.
When front intake fans are added, even ones pointing towards the GPU, this airflow pattern is disrupted and the GPU can no longer pull cool air in from behind the case.

Adding fans in the front of this case will lower average cpu temps, but gpu temps will actually rise.
Alright so first off thank you for this detailed of an explenation. Second, since i'm only going to be gaming which will be heavy on gpu (not that it wont also use cpu) should I not install the front 2 intake fans? And just leave everything as it comes stock? Or maybe grab a 3rd party cpu cooler and then throw the 2 140mm in the front for the gpu?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Second, since i'm only going to be gaming which will be heavy on gpu (not that it wont also use cpu) should I not install the front 2 intake fans?
You CAN, but I wanted to point out that doing so isn't to the benefit of all your hardware.

I would reserve the front for installing a 240mm liquid cooler on either the cpu or gpu somewhere down the road. That appears to be what NZXT intended it for anyway.

Apr 8, 2020
You CAN, but I wanted to point out that doing so isn't to the benefit of all your hardware.

I would reserve the front for installing a 240mm liquid cooler on either the cpu or gpu somewhere down the road. That appears to be what NZXT intended it for anyway.
Alright, personally i don't like liquid cooling. So for now, what do you think my best move would be for the fans?

thanks