[SOLVED] finalizing build before buying. 1440p 144hz gaming

Dec 16, 2021
Any suggestions for this 1440p 144hz gaming build? I kind of just picked out individual parts people said were good so I have no idea about the compatibility or if the components even fit together nicely inside the case. I'm planning to install 2 shroud intake fans, 1 rear exhaust, 1 top exhaust, and run them all low or medium with the fan controller; I don't know if that's necessary. I'm unsure about overclocking but would like the option to do so if I want to later.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler

Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard

MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
GPU

EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case

Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU

Phanteks AMP 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor

LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor
Case Fan
ARCTIC P12 PWM PST - Pressure-optimised 120 mm Fan

Solution
That Noctua is a beast. Consequently it does have some disadvantages, size being the biggest issue. The 5600x is a 65w cpu that's lucky to see over 100w at max output, generally far less as it'll stick close to rated power outputs. A cooler such as the beQuiet Dark Rock 4 is more than enough cooling, and is somewhat smaller, which makes for ease of installation and doesn't impede on slots 2/4. Also cheaper.

3070 can be run easily on a 600w psu, especially with that 5600x, so a decent 750w is more than enough, even for that model.

1Tb doesn't go all that far nowadays, not when some games are reaching in excess of 250Gb with their dlc's. I'd give thought to a second ssd, even a standard Sata3 version, in the 2-4Tb size, just for mass...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That Noctua is a beast. Consequently it does have some disadvantages, size being the biggest issue. The 5600x is a 65w cpu that's lucky to see over 100w at max output, generally far less as it'll stick close to rated power outputs. A cooler such as the beQuiet Dark Rock 4 is more than enough cooling, and is somewhat smaller, which makes for ease of installation and doesn't impede on slots 2/4. Also cheaper.

3070 can be run easily on a 600w psu, especially with that 5600x, so a decent 750w is more than enough, even for that model.

1Tb doesn't go all that far nowadays, not when some games are reaching in excess of 250Gb with their dlc's. I'd give thought to a second ssd, even a standard Sata3 version, in the 2-4Tb size, just for mass game file storage, using the nvme for windows and windows related apps.

Solution