Your video card choice will come with an adapter for VGA.

You have done amazingly well for Tigerdirect, but we don't generally shop there any more :) Newegg has better prices, better service, and far better selection.

I'm going to give you a different option here, at $600.00:

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3LR LGA 775 Intel P43 85
E7400 Faster CPU 120
G.SKILL HK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 41
WD 320GB 50
Antec 300 and EA500 This is a higher quality power supply and enough power for your build. The Antec 300 case is excellent for the price. 115

ASUS 4850 130
More powerful card, great price right now.

That only leaves a DVD drive and OS, which you did not list.

The stock cooler and paste is fine. If you want to overclock then I can recommend a far better one.

A few other notes about your selections:

The 7750 Kuma was a nice step forward for AMD. It still cannot compete with Intel however. The only competitive CPUs AMD has are the Phenom IIs. (X4 940 and X3 720)

Ultra has made a few good PSUs in the past. They do not send them out for proper review, but the consensus is that the only current line they have that is worthwhile is the X3 line... more pricey and not needed for your build.

The CPU cooler you chose would not do a good job for you. There are far better coolers at that price, if in fact you need one.

While 780G is an adequate chipset, I think you can do better.

ginnai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks for the very complete reply! It is alot to take in, while I realize you are suggesting a better system... it is so different from what I had that it has taken me a while to read thru it all. I have always gone with AMD, the idea behind the Kuma was that it will be a good gaming chip and with the unlocked multiplier I can play with it a bit. My avoidance of Intel has been in response to my friend's experience with trying to put an intel machine together. I will poke around on newegg and see what I find, particularly what you suggested.

I have an OEM of XP Pro that I will use until Win 7 is finished, I am going to cannibalize my current machine for its optical drives.

Although the Kuma has an unlocked multiplier, it does not overclock as well as an E5200, which sells for less, and comes with a better stock heatsink :)

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2008/12/22/athlon-x2-7750-vs-intel-e5200-oc-review/4

(That review is done weighted towards the Kuma by the way... the Intel board used for the E5200 was a poor performer)

Have a look at my guide, linked in my sig or at the top of the page.

Your experiences building a rig are going to be determined by other things than the CPU. Chipsets, power supplies, RAM, and case cooling will all play a bigger role as far as stability and such. CPUs are going to determine processing speed only. I have not heard of a faulty CPU shipped from either AMD or Intel in many years.