[SOLVED] Finalizing my decision on which motherboard to get for AMD 3900x

Will Dano

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
I'm a noob with computer builds. I do extensive video editing work and light visual effects and 3D animations.

• I have a GTX 1070 which I'm keeping
  • Buying a 3900x
  • Upgrading to 64GB ram
Here are my current motherboard options:

1. MSI B450-A Pro

2. MSI X470 Gaming Plus

3. MSI X570-A Pro

I'm not overclocking/not utilizing PCIE 4 & faster SSD's. In that case, is there any reason to buy the X470 or X570? From what you know, does the MSI B450-A Pro handle the 3900x at adequate temperatures given I'm not overclocking (and without sacrificing performance)?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I'm a noob with computer builds. I do extensive video editing work and light visual effects and 3D animations.

• Buying a 3900x
  • Upgrading to 64GB ram

1. MSI B450-A Pro

2. MSI X470 Gaming Plus

3. MSI X570-A Pro

I'm not overclocking/not utilizing PCIE 4 & faster SSD's. In that case, is there any reason to buy the X470 or X570? From what you know, does the MSI B450-A Pro handle the 3900x at adequate temperatures given I'm not overclocking (and without sacrificing performance)?

Thanks in advance.

If you've the choice, I'd suggest looking at Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus. It's not that expensive -- for X570 -- and it got really good review...
You dont need a x570 board. The better boards will have better VRMs which will help overclocking. But your not overclocking and Ryzen does not overclock well anyway. I would go with a cheaper board.

If you dont have a 2nd gen Ryzen CPU you will have to update the bios though on the 400 series boards. The MSI b450 pro has falshback, so you dont need a CPU to update the bios. But I am not sure about the x470 gaming plus.

Will Dano

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
You dont need a x570 board. The better boards will have better VRMs which will help overclocking. But your not overclocking and Ryzen does not overclock well anyway. I would go with a cheaper board.

If you dont have a 2nd gen Ryzen CPU you will have to update the bios though on the 400 series boards. The MSI b450 pro has falshback, so you dont need a CPU to update the bios. But I am not sure about the x470 gaming plus.
So the VRMs of the MSI B450 Pro are enough to run 3900x at stock without issues/performance hindrances? I really don't know much about VRMs, and have no clue how to check for them.

• Buying a 3900x
  • Upgrading to 64GB ram

1. MSI B450-A Pro

2. MSI X470 Gaming Plus

3. MSI X570-A Pro

Thanks in advance.

If you've the choice, I'd suggest looking at Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus. It's not that expensive -- for X570 -- and it got really good review for VRM capability with 3900X CPU.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7PkZwY9PWM

Solution