Finalizing PC Monitor Selection - Need Opinions

Apr 26, 2018
Hi,

I've picked several PC Monitors around the $250 price range (preferably, I don't want to go above this) and I'm having trouble choosing which one to go for. I'm currently choosing between an Ultrawide 60Hz IPS, a 1440p 60Hz IPS, and a 1080p 144Hz TN.

The issue is I play a decent amount of both FPS games and RPGs, so I don't know if I should go for the IPS' color quality or the TN's refresh rate.

Is the sacrifice in color worth it for the extra smoothness? Or, since I play a decent amount of non-FPS games, does the better image quality of the IPS make up for the slight blurriness of the 60Hz (I've heard it's overclockable to 75-80Hz)?

Thanks again. I'm open to any suggestions around this price range. The monitors I'm currently considering are listed below:

LG 29UM68-P: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B67KAQ4/?tag=pcpapi-20

Acer G257HU: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-G257HU-smidpx-25-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B00QS0AKVK/ref=sr_1_3?tag=amazongs-20&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519829847&sr=1-3&keywords=Acer+G257HU

LG 24GM79G-B: https://www.amazon.com/LG-24GM79G-B-24-Inch-Monitor-Reduction/dp/B06XFGTGC4

Solution
144htz is of no personal interest to me.

I have always been happy at a rock solid 60fps being an ex console gamer.

The lg ultrawide is 75htz native by the way if you use the displayport connection so it's a step up from 60htz anyway.

It's also a fairly easy resolution to run compared to 1440p,the 1060 will have no trouble at all.

Your decision though, ultawides aren't for everyone, unfortunately hardly any physical stores nowadays where,you can demo stuff properly.

Look on YouTube at ultrawide vs 1080p comparisons, standout titles are titanfall 2 ,BF1,& the forza racing games.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What video card do you have? That will make a difference, because 1440p will require a more powerful videocard than would be needed for 1080p to get the same refresh rate.

Disclaimer: I'm a fan of ultra-wide aspect ratios, so I'm leaning slightly in favor of the LG 29UM68-P.

Ultrawide fan here too.

When you get a game that runs native 21:9 it's much more immersive than 16:9

The caveat is not all games have a native ultrawide option, most newer ones do, a lot can be patched to run ultrawide.worst case in some titles is black borders left & right.

The LG ips have exceptional screen quality too

Apr 26, 2018

I'm running on a GTX 1060 6GB, although I plan on upgrading to a GTX 1070 within the next year.

Apr 26, 2018

So you'd say, even if I play a decent amount of FPS games, the color quality of an IPS and the ultrawide's immersion make up for the loss of 144Hz? That's the greatest dilemma I'm facing currently.

144htz is of no personal interest to me.

I have always been happy at a rock solid 60fps being an ex console gamer.

The lg ultrawide is 75htz native by the way if you use the displayport connection so it's a step up from 60htz anyway.

It's also a fairly easy resolution to run compared to 1440p,the 1060 will have no trouble at all.

Your decision though, ultawides aren't for everyone, unfortunately hardly any physical stores nowadays where,you can demo stuff properly.

Look on YouTube at ultrawide vs 1080p comparisons, standout titles are titanfall 2 ,BF1,& the forza racing games.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, to go along with MadMatt, there aren't a lot of stores where you can see them - but, IF there's a store within somewhat of a reasonable distance, you might want to check these monitors out in person, and see what sizes, aspect ratios, etc., feel comfortable for you.

For me, it was a 45-minute drive to a MicroCenter, but I was glad I went there and sat in front of the screens in person. No two peoples eyes and preferences are exactly the same.

TRENDING THREADS