finally a Shopping spree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggie314

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Hi all, thought i would post this in a new thread as its about different aspects of a build my other thread asked about. I am asking for help in completing a shopping list for this build and would appreciate sage advice on the choices to make.

UPDATE!
OK. talk about keeping powder dry! by waiting i have managed to pick up the following components at decent prices

1) Asrock ws-e Motherboard ( 200 quid new off Amazon)
2) 5960 intel Haswell ( 500 quid second hand)
3) Phanteks enthoo Primo case in white ( 70 quid off Gumtree)
4) have budgeted for aio for cpu and a gtx 1080, which are cheaper than when started the thread. I will try to buy this second hand

Can anyone suggest a good storage solution for these components so far?
I think i need an m.2 drive for the operating system and then some other larger drives for the fastesr of the sata ports. This is what i have gleaned from reading but of course could be way off the mark!

Ram Id like 32gb, will be using Sony Vegas software to do video editing along with other tasks listed earlier in the thread. I don't think i need 64gb but am open to suggestions on capacity timing s and speed that will work well with what i have so far

In short , any advice on finishing the shopping for this build would be really helpful. I am also nearing completion on self done man shed from ground up so end is in sight!

Link to the other thread, we're not psychic. ;)
If this is to earn money I'll suggest a 250-512Gb PCI-E M2 NVMe drive for the OS, Vegas and the projects you're working on with dual 2Tb drives in a mirrored array to safeguard your portfolio, and if you're really paranoid, an additional USB external backup drive for that REALLY important stuff.

Doggie314

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Ah thankyou for the reply! I really do need the help! here is the link to the other thread

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3021414/power-supply-unit-strong-build.html#19435751

the vegas pro will just be hobby stuff. the system itself needs to be snappy enough to run my charting program and any other webpages and software im running concurrently. fast load times of the charting software is what i will get most benefit from on a daily basis. I dont have a portfolio on drive but use online sports books and stp brokers to action my work. i do need enough storage to maintain photos and video of family as they are growing. we already back this stuff up on an external drive for holiday security. is this enough info? im happy to get economical drive hardware as long as it is at least using the fastest inputs/(outputs) that the motherboard provides! sorry to not to be more precise but hope this and the other thread give you enough info to help me get this done!!!!

The motherboard doesn't support the current ultrafast PCI-E 3.0x4 drives, it's limited to PCI-E 2.0x4 so any current fast PCI-E based SSD will run a little slower than you might expect, especially if you benchmark it.
As far as I can see Samsung make the fastest currently available, but they charge a premium for it, value wise you'll probably be better off with a cheaper M2 PCI-E x4 NVMe drive for boot and main software with a large HDD for bulk storage.

Doggie314

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Hi coozie 007, yes that tallies with the general shape of my understanding. so the hdd will be old style magnetic and will store all archive stuff, and the m2 ssd will contain the operating system and plug into the m2 socket on the mb. I will have a look and post options for compatibility check. the hdd would use which ports?

Pretty well all HDDs will use a SATA port, but check the motherboard manual carefully if you use a PCI-E M2 drive, quite often using this type of M2 drive will disable one or more SATA ports.
Also check how the motherboard M2 slot is keyed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2
As a final note, you don't really need to pay the premium for a PCI-E 3.0X4 NVMe drive, your motherboard won't allow it to run at full speed and the 'slow' SATA type drives are still light years faster than spinning HDDs anyway.

Doggie314

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
HI coozie, i will check and absorb the wiki info. noted about the nvme 3. i will look about for an older one that does up to 2 x4 as the asrock requires ( if i can still buy them) ( whats the skinny on buying used storage? is it worthwhile?)

I will also check what gets disabled with m2 used. i think i remember its something to do with one of the pcie slots tho, will check and report back. thanks for your ongoing input. if u have any input on 32gb ram in white that would also be really useful! so far all the articles have given me the impression that 2666 will be a good compromise on price and performance.

Doggie314

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
right then. from what i have now read, i understand the following.
1) m.2 actually just means the way this plugs into the board. for me it means a neat space saving solution i guess.
2) how the info is delivered is called the bus interface. slower buses are sata based. info via pcie ( the fact i have 7 slots in my mb and a many lane cpu is relevant here??) will be faster. In fact i could get a storage solution that plugs directly into a pcie slot but m.2 slot uses same bus anyway.
3) gen 2.0 x2 was a bit faster than sata. gen 2 x4 is alot faster( as it is using 4 lanes of pcie) again but not near gen 3 ( upto 32gbs).
4) coupling at least gen 2x4 with NVME TECH gets a very fast drive but not the fastest
5) If you install a M.2 PCI Express module and the SATA_EXP0 is in use, the M2_1 will downgrade to x2 mode. this is what it says in the manual. Can you help me with what SAta expo means and how i can avoid using it so as to maintain m.2 port bus interface speeds at optimum?
this list gives supported storage but i am confused as the nvme options are all listed outside of the m.2 category!!
i invite corrections please.....

1: Yep.

2: Again, yep.

3: Without a stopwatch you probably won't spot the difference between PCI-E 2.0 x2 and x4 unless you're regularly loading/saving a lot of data in one go.

4: It would, but AFAIK there's no NVMe PCI-E 2.0 drives, the NVMe protocol was introduced later, along with PCI-E 3.0 drives, but don't worry too much about it, even a SATA SSD is going to feel insanely fast after a HDD based system.

5: If you use the SATA Express port the M2 slot will slow down (manual, page 33 ;) )

Doggie314

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
OK yes thankyou for that confirmation coozie.
I have since discovered that i can use PCIe to M.2 adapter to get PCIe 3.0 x4 add in card that will allow me the full speed of pcie 3 x 4!. so will see about using that option. have also clarified that i can use just about any m.2 nvme drive.
also have found out that "And Windows must be installed in UEFI mode" this is from asrock tech support. not sure what it means !

so onto Ram. I think im looking for something around 2666 mhz. any suggestions welcome! i imagine that i will go for anything white and cheap enough of good brand quality.
really appreciating the help here guy tyty.

Funny, thought I put a reply into this space yesterday...

ER...Um...Dropped the ball on that add in card, forgot that I'M using one of those in a space PCI-E slot to keep an otherwise redundant PCI-E 2.0 M2 drive...Oops. It is possible that the system won't boot from this configuration though, but don't be too bothered about it, unless you're going to be shifting large amounts of data regularly (and I mean GB not Mb at a time) the3 difference between the PCI-E 3.0x4 and PCI-E 2.0x4 will actually be small.

From what I can see the motherboard should default to UEFI mode, so you won't get that simple text set of BIOS screens but something more modern and a little more intuitive to use.

There will be little speed bonus in faster memory but you'll need to check prices very carefully, they vary wildly from site-to-site as does availability.

Doggie314

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

Coozie, or indeed anyone, can i ask if the following ram will run with my x99 board and intel haswell 5960x?

http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR21R15D4K4_64.pdf
https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk/kingston-kvr21r15d4k464-64gb-kit-16gb-x4-ddr4-2133mhz-reg-ecc-memory-dimm

ive seen some that may be offered at a reasonable used price.
my undersatanding is that it will be fine, but i wont get the ecc benefit as not using a xeon chip. is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS