Info Finally Booted from my cloned Intel 660P M.2 drive

Dec 6, 2019
I bought an Intel 660p 1tb NVME SSD. It was $82 on Newegg, looked like a great deal. Installed it yesterday. Here are my components:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: Asus Prime X-470 Pro AM4
Memory: Team 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Boot Drive + Storage: PNY 240 GB SSD
Storage: Sandisk 240 GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD
Graphics Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 8GB GDDR5 RX-580P8D
Case: Corsair Carbide 100R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 750 W Semi Modular ATX Power Supply

My MOBO, CPU and Memory are about 2 weeks old. Wanted a bigger primary drive so I thought the 1TB M.2 would be a good upgrade from the 240GB SSD.

I had problems getting the M.2 to boot into Windows and I read many threads concerning the subject on this site. I took about 3-4 hours on this install before finally getting it to work, so it was a PITA. I am always referring to this site when I have issues so hopefully this may help someone with a similar issue.

I wanted to go the cloning route instead of a fresh windows install becasue I was not looking forward to re-downloading programs, games, etc. I cloned my SSD with Win 10 to the M.2 using Macrium Reflect. Cloning finished in 32 minutes. Shut Down, unplugged SSD and restarted. Got the error message to choose a bootable device. Went into BIOS and saw the M.2 drive as boot priority. I plugged in my SSD and chose it as the boot device, restarted, went right into Windows. The M.2 drive showed up as a drive in windows explorer and disk management. File directories looked the same as on my SSD. Tried booting from Windows Recovery USB with the SSD unplugged but none of the options helped. Read through some threads on this problem and I saw that Samsung and Intel had drivers for the NVME drives, even though they are natively supported in Win 10, or at least they are supposed to be. Read an Intel manual on M.2 drive installs:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/enthusiast-ssds/PCIe-NVMe-SSD-Install-Boot-Guide.pdf

and found a link to an intel nvme driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29172?v=t

The manual calls the driver package optional but I decided to give it a shot anyway. Downloaded the driver to my SSD downloads folder, installed it an ran it. Once completed I received a Windows pop up asking me what I wanted to do with the H drive, which I had designated the M.2 when I formatted it. I had not seen this pop-up on prior boots on the SSD with the M.2 installed, so I thought I the driver package must have done something. I restarted, went into BIOS and and set boot priority to the M.2 drive. Exited and booted into Windows. Rebooted again into Windows from the M.2 with no issues.

I had read previously that I may have to disable CSM support to get the M.2 drive to work, but doing that just made the drive disappear in BIOS. I had changed my boot settings in BIOS in order to try and see if anything would work with no luck. I think I pretty much had everything on default settings when I booted from the M.2. Hope this helps someone with a similar drive who is having issues booting from it. I had some frustration doing this but am very happy now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt_ogu812

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS