Finally! New USB Standard Will Feature Reversible Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had seen some reversible USB connectors in the past from more than one company.

It may be nice to see them ALL work this way.

Personally, I have never had much issue with having to find out the direction to plug a USB device in.

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
A good indication of the top side of a USB stick is the company logo and size (GB).

Or a quick look at the end of the usb.

Yay for progress though.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
This is a problem for people? Just look at which side the logo is on, and that's up.

On the flip side, if it's like the thunderbolt connector, I don't much care for Apple but that unit is slick.

pastydavid

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Raise your hand if you ever went to plug a USB cord in (the right way), it didn't seem to go in, you flip it around and try again (the wrong way), said "what the hell" and turned it around and put it in the correct way. *raises hand

You are thinking of lightning :)

Thunderbolt uses Display Port as its base connector. That can not be flipped.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
To everyone that says the side with the company logo is the top of the connector you ma be right in some cases but not all. I have encountered many cables from Microsoft keyboards and RIM phones that have the USB symbol on one side and the company logo on the othr side. It confuses the hell out of people because usually the USB logo must face up when you plug it in.

Sep 30, 2013
I don't get this "up" you're talking about. The motherboard is attached sideways ..

As for having had reversible usb connectors, no, but maybe a cable with usb connectors on one end or for a similar use.

As for flipping the cable parallell ata cables in disc drives are way worse.

saidge

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
The bottom has a seam down the middle of the metal connector. Yet to see one that isn't set up this way.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Not saying I wouldn't appreciate this, but what I'd really like is for someone to put an end to some of the flimsy slide-out connectors. Probably half of the ones I've used just retract when the slightest pressure is put on the tip, forcing the user to wedge the slider open while cramming it into a USB port.

Yes, I know that's beyond the scope of this. Still would be nice.

vern72

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012

Sometimes it's not that easy. For instance, the microUSB plug on my Nexus 5 is upside down (meaning the top of the plug is up when the screen is facing down). Took me a few tries to figure that out.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Nice, I guess, but it's not that big a deal. I mean really, it takes only what, a few seconds to get it right? I appreciate the whole idea of just making things simpler and work better, but this isn't exactly something I think is worth much celebration. Really sort of "meh".

lp231

Splendid
Not sure how Type C will look like, but this idea isn't new.
2h4x0no.jpg

http://www.inewidea.com/2011/01/27/36325.html

Not as cool as the one above, but there are reversible USB cables
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Tripp-Lite-18-Inch-USB-2.0-Universal-Reversible-Cable-Right-M-F-18in/3111326.aspx

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
As someone who's used PS/2 connectors for years I have never complained about the orientation of USB plugs. If there's something before PS/2 that's worse then I don't even want to imagine it.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
The reason why it was designed that way is to avoid switching of terminals and voltages, and avoid some crashes of the hardware because the ground and power connects at the terminal at the same time (R E A D). If this new USB (terminal) works when reversed, the terminals would increased then, allow it to enter on either side without crashing your hardware. (R A D A R), which is simply already available on some appliance anyways...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.