Finally Ordered my Xigamatek 1283 today :)

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Well, I finally broke down and ordered a Xigmatek 1283..with the retention bracket too, of course. Newegg dropped the price $3 and I think that was a sign I had to retire my inefficient CM Hyper TX2. Does anyone have some of their own ways to prep the cooler and heatspreader before laying down some Thermal Paste? I've read a couple posts in here about it but I'm always open for more information.(AS5)

Whoops, I had an extra A in Xigmatek

Superhal

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
hazing is always good. you rub a light haze of TIM into the IHS and hsf to push out microscopic air bubbles. i put a little bit on a q-tip and rub it in until it looks dull.

lapping is questionable. there's no conclusive evidence that lapping has any effect at all. for every poster who has results, there's a bunch who didn't. imho, i'm waiting for data about lapping that controls for pressure.

That Xigmatek 1283 cooler is tempting. :( It tested well here on Tom's. Thing sells for about the same as the cooler I have now, but theoretically should cool better. ;) Maybe one of these days I'll break down and order one too.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

Ditto on this. A few weeks ago I made a thread about lapping, I had lapped my Q6600 AND my Xiggy S1283. When I first re-assembled, temps were much lower than before, 5-10c across all 4 cores. But as time passed it went back to pre-lapping temperatures. Ive taken it off and checked the paste and torque on the screws (crossbow bracket), everything is fine. The lapping just didnt give results, I cant explain it really.

As far as the question goes, basically just clean the surfaces real good before you apply the paste, use alcohol or what not.

Superhal

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008

tried reapplying the thermal paste? it sounds like a phenomenon called "pump out" or "bake out."
http://www.innovationcooling.com/Reliabilty1.htm

maybe the lapping caused the paste to get totally squeezed out over time (probably easier since the HDT design of the s1283 acts like treads on a tire.)

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

The paste at least seemed to be fine, nothing that would differentiate it from any other HS removal. And yes I cleaned and reapplied after removing it to check, temps were a tad lower for about 1 session, then back to before. Im not too worried about it, sick of dealing with. Ill be switching over to water in 4 or 5 months.

Superhal

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008

ouch. :(

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I should get my cooler tomorrow. I plan on placing some lines on the pipes and seeing how that goes. I bought some 90% Isopropyl alcohol so that should take care of it. I have some Arctic Silver 5 so lay down and I'm excited to get my temps down. I need to reseat my cooler and I'd rather just get a new cooler and get a higher OC and lower temps.

Superhal

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
when you get everything taken apart, you should check level-ness of the chip and hsf just in case. if the top of the ihs looks like "w" it should be ok, if it's "u", that's bad. the hsf should be ok, although some hdt's have a either depressions or raised areas where the spreaders meet the pipes (mine had raised spreaders.) usually, pressure from the mount will even this out.