Finally time to upgrade my 3570k

nightshift23

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
It's finally time to update my aging 3570k.

I currently have a 1080, 600W PSU, and a hyper 212 evo. I have an occulus rift, and stream a bit, uploading some niche gaming videos to Youtube. 85+% of my use though is 1440p gaming and watching movies/internet browsing.

I will be purchasing the cpu, mobo, and possibly the memory at the closest micro center. This is worth noting as the cpu. mobo combo prices are the cheapest I have been able to find for quite some time (7 years now, hey though, if you know better please let me know).

Now I'm happy to spend 250, even 300 dollars, but there are some really good cpus on this list that are well below that. I'm leaning towards the 2700, but I really have to wonder how much faster than a 1600/2600 is it gonna be for my case use? Especially when i can keep my 3570k around as a second pc for streaming. Theres also the fact that for 20 less an 8600k (soon 9600k for about the same price, not a big upgrade but hey its sodder now right?) will give a bit better performance in many games. At 300 the 8700k isnt even out of reach, though it seems hard to justify for anything but the handful of games that are really dependent on single core speed (though this is most sims, and i do love sims).

I'm not a fanboy of either company, but I really wouldn't mind using some of my own money to reward AMD for finally bringing some real heat on Intel since Ryzen. I also like that the mobo I buy will continue to support at least 2 more generations of CPU. Neither of these factors are deciding though.

Alright, feel free to check out the micro center site (my closest store is fairfax,va) for any prices I dont list, but here is what they are currently asking for each cpu including the 30 off for paring it with a mobo:

2700x/2700 : 250/230
2600x/2600 : 160/130
1600 : 110

8086k : 350
8700k : 300
8600k : 210

Have never really looked at the locked intel cpus, but if you think I should tell me about it.

At 130 the 2600 is very tempting. I'm not sure what going up from there will even do for me at 1440p, but I do think it might matter in VR. However if I spent more and got the 8600k is it possible I might actually take a dip in VR?

Happy to answer any questions, and looking forward to any thoughts you guys might have.

My opinion is that once you have 'enough' CPU then it's all about your videocard. The 2600, with 6 cores/12 threads, is enough for what you're doing. You could spend more but I think you'll see a drop off in performance gained vs dollar spent at that point. Intel is still faster but with Ryzen AMD offers a compelling value for people who can use more cores and threads, people like streamers. I'm not into VR so I can't say for sure, but I would be shocked if a 2600 couldn't handle it.

I'd wait and see what kind of deals they offer starting in a week or two when the Intel 9th gen CPUs hit the shelves. Even if you don't go WITH an Intel product, AMD will likely drop prices on their SKUs to draw market share away from the new Intel releases.

Plus, the 9th gen Intel processors are worth looking at with more cores and, if you're an overclocker or even if you're not, the thermal characteristics should be much improved over the last five generations since they are returning to the use of solder between the die and heat spreader. That should really broaden the horizon as far as thermal headroom on overclocking or just help keep things a lot cooler on stock configurations.

Either way, it's a win, whether you get a less expensive Ryzen setup or go with a newer, latest gen Intel.

Best value and best performance are rarely the same thing.

Case in point.

2018 Corvette. 455-650 horsepower. Cost, $55,000

2018 Ferrari 488 GTB. 789hp. Cost, $335,000

Now, the Corvette definitely goes fast enough for any sane person, and it's a good value by comparison. The Ferrari however will crush it in every conceivable way. Better handling. Better torque and horsepower. Better gearing. Better, everything.

So, which is the better choice? That depends on how deep your pockets are and how important it is to you that you have the faster car.

For me, I'd probably opt for the Corvette, but maybe, if I was needing it to win, I'd choose differently.

I'll agree that it's a bit of a reach as a comparison, but it is comparative. And I think that when you factor in the probable OC capabilities combined with the added cores, if within a budget constriction, will easily be the better option. That is not, of course, to say that the Ryzen should be overlooked as an option because they are also very capable, much like the Corvette. Still gonna get you where you need to go, and do it fairly quickly. The only question really is whether you need that extra little bit, and if it's worth the premium.

I say it, might be. Have to wait and see. Very hard to say until full test results are available. Until then, it's all conjecture.

Plus, aside from Sandy Bridge's jump from the performance of Gen1 Core-i, the 30%/10% has pretty much always been this way. This is nothing new and should not come as a surprise to anybody.

nightshift23

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
It will be about a month before I make this purchase, the 9th gen will be out by then, but an I9 is not something I'm even considering tbh. Also, intel already out clocks anything ryzen has, and likely will put out anytime soon with even the 8600k. Who knows what 7nm will be able to do, but I will already have my rig by the time Zen2 releases. The 9 series release may push prices down a bit, but tariffs are going to start pushing prices up as well. There is little chance of me going with anything more expensive than an 8/9700k. At 1440p the extra clock speed of the intel cpus seems to taper off from the benchs ive seen, with amd sometimes pulling neck and neck. I'm still leaning toward Ryzen, I just feel its the far better overall processor, and Intel for the price isn't really offering that much better performance in games. I really cant find much about performance in VR for any of the processors, and I would think this would be significantly more CPU bound than pancake gaming.

TRENDING THREADS