[SOLVED] Finally upgrading but is this a decent combination?

LexiconAlpha

Honorable
Feb 23, 2015
Im building a new system and like most people looking to future proof, within as reasonable budget as much as is possible ( i try to only upgrade pc every 3-4 years if i can get away with it so try to look forward with build platform). This is what i was thinking right now:

CPU- Ryzen 3900XT
Cooling- Noctua D15
MBOARD- Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
RAM- Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
Drive- Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
NZXT H710 ATX Mid Tower Case

Its mainly going to be a gaming system and, not included here yet, ill be looking to grab an RTX card (3070 or 3080) once they are more readily available and early launch issues are sorted (unless of course a Navi proves a better choice in a little later but have a 2080 right now). I currently game 1440p but reserving the chances I may go 4k in the future along with VR. Im not an overclocker as such, tinkering rather than enthuisast type so anything on that front would be minimal but i do like to tweak.
In the UK all my prices here include taxes, so from that point of view those components come to around £1600 and thats a good ball park for what i am looking to spend (given ill be getting a new GPU separately coming soon after.

Specially I am concerned that the Noctua is going to be enough for the CPU and if the RGB ram is going to be too tall for it (or if i need the non RGB version (not 100% on the placement on this board relative to the heatsink). Any other thoughts also welcome.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Xt models are waste of money, you won't notice any differences between the 3900x/xt.
For pure gaming Intel new cpu's gets better results compared to the Ryzen cpu's(I would suggest configuration with Intel cpu).
I would change the nvme and the case, there is better options for less money.
You can take cheaper kit of ram with the same mhz and cl.
Intel last socket(LGA1200) will be ready for the next gen cpu's.
Here configuration with Intel cpu(not for ocing):

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor | £245.58 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler | ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler | £37.73 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Motherboard | Asus TUF...
How urgently are you looking to build? I ask as AMD are announcing their new CPU’s on the 8th Oct. We don’t know how quickly they will be in stores but they are rumoured to have significant IPC improvements. They will likely push down prices of the 3000 series too.

Reactions: RodroX

LexiconAlpha

Honorable
Feb 23, 2015
How urgently are you looking to build? I ask as AMD are announcing their new CPU’s on the 8th Oct. We don’t know how quickly they will be in stores but they are rumoured to have significant IPC improvements. They will likely push down prices of the 3000 series too.

Thanks for replying - Well, I was planning on keeping an eye on AMD for both GPU and CPU before spending anything, but as you say, it will depend on how quick to market they are. Im looking for something soonish. So assuming the new AMD offerings arent out for a while I guess i am looking for a view on the 'as is' for what's available right now as something to keep in mind.

Sep 26, 2020
if you are looking for a futurproof pc than you have to choose wisely those two component
MOTHERBOARD
POWER SUPPLY
i may sound angry and it's true because back in 2013 those two component made me sell my 4670k/gtx770 rig for half the price because i've got a faulty psu
for the psu please look for a seasonic unit 80+gold or above
for the motherboard go for an asus the most reliable manufacturer in my opinion
and for reste you can wait until amd launches their 4000series cpu's

Pickachu

Prominent
Apr 15, 2019
Xt models are waste of money, you won't notice any differences between the 3900x/xt.
For pure gaming Intel new cpu's gets better results compared to the Ryzen cpu's(I would suggest configuration with Intel cpu).
I would change the nvme and the case, there is better options for less money.
You can take cheaper kit of ram with the same mhz and cl.
Intel last socket(LGA1200) will be ready for the next gen cpu's.
Here configuration with Intel cpu(not for ocing):

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor | £245.58 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler | ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler | £37.73 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Motherboard | Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | £171.18 @ Amazon UK
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | £54.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage | ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £119.99 @ Box Limited
Storage | Kingston A2000 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £95.49 @ Amazon UK
Video Card | Palit GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GamingPro Video Card | £733.67 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Case | Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh White w/ Controller ATX Mid Tower Case | £83.99 @ AWD-IT
Power Supply | Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | £99.95 @ CCL Computers
Case Fan | Noctua S12B redux-1200 PWM 59.1 CFM 120 mm Fan | £17.64 @ Overclockers.co.uk
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £1660.21
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-28 14:36 BST+0100 |

Solution