[SOLVED] Finally upgrading - parts questions

wrharvey21

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Hey all, I'm finally in the process of building a new pc for the first time in forever, as mine is starting to age and I think the newer stuff will be a massive upgrade.

Current specs:
I5 2500k
8gb ddr3
MSI Gtx 1060 6gb gaming x

This pc will be mainly used for gaming, maybe some streaming, and as a media center. My goal is to be able to achieve that and game on high to ultra settings at 1080p and 144hz since I have that type of monitor.

What I'm stuck between are these options:

I was originally looking at a
Ryzen 5 3600x
MSI mpg x570 gaming pro carbon
16gb of ddr4 (probably 3200mhz)
And keeping my 1060 gpu

Then I've been seeing what look like killer deals on the 2600x and older Gen b450/x470 motherboards so I was wondering if I would get better performance overall for a relatively small price increase by going with:
Ryzen 5 2600x
A b450 pro carbon or x470 taichi
And upgrading to an rx 5700xt gpu
16gb ddr4 3200
This option would also possibly allow me to sell my current pc for a couple hundred bucks?

Yes, I realize the x570 is over kill for a 3600x but I was thinking along the lines of future proofing, and the 802. 11ax feature. I also have heard many issues with the flashback feature working correctly for newer ryzen Chips with last Gen boards. I also don't want to fool with AMD mailing me a chip for flashing the bios.

Thanks in advance for any help. I have 0 clue about all the performances of the new tech so I'm really stuck.

Solution
Hey man,

Thats a really difficulet and actually its not.

Its easily option 2.
you see ryzen 3000 series work on ryzen 2000 motherboards after a bios update.
you need a ryzen 2000 chip (like the 2600x) for the bios update.

you can compare yourself the difference between the 3600 and the 2600, imo its not that much.
however you can always upgrade later to the 3600x and selling your 2600.
In any case the gpu upgrade will be most noticeable.

Last future proofing.. just look at the state of your pc ... your smartphone .. what if you had the most expensive and best smartphone 5 years ago... it would be old man. just set a target for yourself like you did now and enjoy the moment.
For me its ulta 1080p with a 6th gen i5 (non oc) and a...
Hey man,

Thats a really difficulet and actually its not.

Its easily option 2.
you see ryzen 3000 series work on ryzen 2000 motherboards after a bios update.
you need a ryzen 2000 chip (like the 2600x) for the bios update.

you can compare yourself the difference between the 3600 and the 2600, imo its not that much.
however you can always upgrade later to the 3600x and selling your 2600.
In any case the gpu upgrade will be most noticeable.

Last future proofing.. just look at the state of your pc ... your smartphone .. what if you had the most expensive and best smartphone 5 years ago... it would be old man. just set a target for yourself like you did now and enjoy the moment.
For me its ulta 1080p with a 6th gen i5 (non oc) and a 1660 ti. I can play any game ultra 60fps and games like csgo league on 144hz.

Good luck man:)

Solution
Rather than a 3600X, consider the 3600 (non-X). The performance difference between them tends to be so minimal as to be unnoticeable (within a couple percent) and is arguably not worth the extra $45-$50. The 3600X does come with a somewhat better stock cooler that should be a little quieter, but it's possible to get a much better 120mm aftermarket tower cooler for around $30 or so if that's a concern.

As for the 2600X, a 3600 should be nearly 15% faster in many CPU-limited scenarios due to major architectural improvements for the 3000 series, or around 10-15% in games in cases where performance isn't being limited by the graphics card, and that added performance might be worth having if you are targeting high refresh rates. Of course, that's only relevant if you have a graphics card capable of reliably pushing those high refresh rates. A 1060 might still be pretty good for maintaining upward of 60fps at 1080p, but for high refresh rates it's going to be limiting performance more than anything in most newer games. So, you would probably want to upgrade that as well.

If you are trying to get both a Ryzen 3600 and a significant graphics card upgrade within your budget, absolutely cut back on the motherboard, as it should have virtually no impact on performance.

TRENDING THREADS