Find Illegal Torrents Using Google

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My favorite is the picture :3
I like the outlining of intentions though. No smarmy, retarded reasons, just clear and logical.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
yeap, google has been absent, hiding, from publicly supporting private bay, maybe because of this little fact. if it's illegal for pirate bay to create search engine for torrents, then i would think the law would think that it's illegal for anyone to do the same. if this does not get thrown out, maybe google should step in with their deep pockets and googles of lawyers and help these people out, before they are found not complying with copyright law and assisting in the theft of copyrighted materials.

Uncle Meat

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Google just provides an index of where torrent files can be found.

Google does not store torrent files on its servers nor does it provide a tracker for torrent files. Pirate Bay does both of these things.

Do you really not see the difference?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Uncle Meat[/nom]Google just provides an index of where torrent files can be found.Google does not store torrent files on its servers nor does it provide a tracker for torrent files. Pirate Bay does both of these things.Do you really not see the difference?[/citation]

The Pirate Bay does neither of those things either FYI.

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Hm... Uncle Meat has a point. If google was sued, they can defend themselves saying that they don't store or even host the tracker. Pirate bay IS a tracker themselves and stores these .torrent files. I wonder if the admins can fight off this argument although they technically cannot be sued by laws in Sweden because they didn't provide the illegal files, but they can always say they facilitated in the process by providing their tracker and the .torrent files necessary for the illegal activities to occur.

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Hm... Uncle Meat has a point. If google was sued, they can defend themselves saying that they don't store or even host the tracker. Pirate bay IS a tracker themselves and stores these .torrent files. I wonder if the admins can fight off this argument although they technically cannot be sued by laws in Sweden because they didn't provide the illegal files, but they can always say they facilitated in the process by providing their tracker and the .torrent files necessary for the illegal activities to occur.

theJ

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]The Pirate Bay does neither of those things either FYI.[/citation]

They do store the torrent. Not the file, but the torrent. Google does not store the torrents, it just gives you the link to them on another website.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Uncle Meat[/nom]Google just provides an index of where torrent files can be found.Google does not store torrent files on its servers nor does it provide a tracker for torrent files. Pirate Bay does both of these things.Do you really not see the difference?[/citation]

You have a point there but also be aware that pirate bay does not monitor what is posted there by the users, it is a free "neutral" service it simply provides a tracker and a listing service, users are responsible for what they upload, and TPB does not store the actual files. It is sth like craigslist imho, and I guess that this is sth that all technological literate people believe. It is hard to deny that piracy is promoted but TPB is by a strictly logical procedure not to blame, responsibility passes on to the users.

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Google still provides means to get the files regardless of where torrents are stored or the fact that they dont have a tracker. Pirate Bay never said please store illegal stuff on our site just as google never said please dont put up illegal sites so our engine doesnt find them.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]thej[/nom]They do store the torrent. Not the file, but the torrent. Google does not store the torrents, it just gives you the link to them on another website.[/citation]

And this is what he said, "Google does not store the TORRENT FILE. TPD does."

G

then again google does not host the torrents.
Torrents which link to illegal content.
It just links to the links (torrents) of illegal content.

Once TPB, mininova, and other torrent sites would cease to exist, we won't see any (or as many) results anymore on google.

I just wonder when Hollywood,music producers and gaming producers will stop accusing piracy for their loss of income;and instead not look on the economy globally!
Yes, 25 years ago movies where in, now there's an overproduction. People are just not interested in movies or music anymore as they did 20 years ago. Besides, 20 years ago, good artists made a living out of it, because of their whole life experience.
Today movies, games, and music all is about production. Get a track done in 3 months time, get a tour, sell so many amounts of CD's.
And the music stops flowing, because both artists or creators of movies or games just are on their 5minute deadline per game.
Ofcourse they don't come up with something new, and ofcourse the people will get tired of it!

theJ

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]And this is what he said, "Google does not store the TORRENT FILE. TPD does."[/citation]

I'm confused.

Uncle Meat says, "Google doesn't store the torrent or give you an index of them. TPB does."

To which you responded, "ThePirateBay does neither of things". Which is false. That's exactly what TPB does.

Where exactly did I get off track?

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
[citation][nom]Humans think[/nom]You have a point there but also be aware that pirate bay does not monitor what is posted there by the users, it is a free "neutral" service it simply provides a tracker and a listing service, users are responsible for what they upload, and TPB does not store the actual files. It is sth like craigslist imho, and I guess that this is sth that all technological literate people believe. It is hard to deny that piracy is promoted but TPB is by a strictly logical procedure not to blame, responsibility passes on to the users.[/citation]

I think it's also hard to deny that setting up a site intended for torrent files for illegal downloads (the name says it all) and then "looking the other way" when it's obvious that 99% of the files being shared are illegal makes them responsible.

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Once TPB, mininova, and other torrent sites would cease to exist, we won't see any (or as many) results anymore on google.[/citation]

I think stealing is wrong. But not nearly as wrong as killing technology which this would do essentially. There are many people who use the technology steal, we all know this. However there are many people out there who use the technology in a legal manner that is very convenient to them. Artists, independent movie makers, free lance musicians. In many ways this technology allows them to do what they enjoy and without it they probably wouldn't be able to afford the cost it would take them to distribute their content to so many.

The corporations need to stop being lazy and go after the actual thieves or find another way to profit off of their content. They shouldn't be destroying the technology.

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]techtre2003[/nom]I think it's also hard to deny that setting up a site intended for torrent files for illegal downloads (the name says it all) and then "looking the other way" when it's obvious that 99% of the files being shared are illegal makes them responsible.[/citation]

I wouldn't say they are looking away. They acknowledge that it's there they just see no reason to do anything about it. Reminds me of people who drive by someone who needs a jump start for their car. People can easily see that there's a problem they just feel that it isn't their problem so they are not responsible for doing anything about it. Now it's certainly not admirable to say the least but they are not breaking any laws by just driving by.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I think this whole lawsuit is a pointless waste of time anyway, it's not like TPB is the only game in town. We all know there's ton's of torrent sites, are they gonna go after them all? This game of cat and mouse has been going on for a long time now. When Napster was shut down there was a flurry of new filesharing clients developed that worked better. When those started to be targeted is about when bittorrent really took off.

I know there was a lot more to it than that, but the point is some people are just going to keep finding new ways to pirate stuff if they want to. It's like when you tell a kid not to sit so close to the TV, turn your back and the next thing you know they're sitting even closer than before. Some people just never grew out of that.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
[citation][nom]deathblooms2k1[/nom]I wouldn't say they are looking away. They acknowledge that it's there they just see no reason to do anything about it. Reminds me of people who drive by someone who needs a jump start for their car. People can easily see that there's a problem they just feel that it isn't their problem so they are not responsible for doing anything about it. Now it's certainly not admirable to say the least but they are not breaking any laws by just driving by.[/citation]

At the same time, I don't think that they just aren't doing anything about it, but they also encourage it. Besides the obvious name of the site, the browse torrents link takes you to a games category with links dedicated to PS2, Wii, and Xbox360 games. I don't think there are ANY legal downloads in those catagories.

ZeroTech

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Wasn't the accusation based on that TPB "facilitated" access to these copyright material? Hosting a torrent tracker is not illegal (well, I hope not), so imagine this scenario.
I host a tracker and a server with torrent files. I provide NO search engine for my server, so I am not facilitating anything. People can put stuff (torrent files) on my server, but they have no way of searching for it again unless they know the exact link.
Now, google can be used to look for my torrents (after they index it), making google the facilitator.
Will they go after google then.
Not that I want them to go after google (maybe let them try), but it's just to prove a point.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Still comes back to the road crew analogy.

You don't fine or put a road repair/construction crew in jail because someone was speeding on it, or used it for illegal drug trafficking etc.

That is effectively what this is. TPB and other torrent sites provide a means to transfer files efficiently...period. That is the only thing you can claim them guilty of.

This whole case is a very bad joke.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Hosting a tracker to a linux distro isn't illegal. Hosting one that points to copyright material might be facilitating. Trackers are the pimps for downloaders.

ColMirage

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]deathblooms2k1[/nom]I think stealing is wrong. But not nearly as wrong as killing technology which this would do essentially. There are many people who use the technology steal, we all know this.[/citation]

They aren't stealing, though. They're copying. That's very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.