Finding a good CPU

stealthyexplosion

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014
I know which GPU is better than a different GPU. Like it's easy to tell that GTX 770 is better than 570 and 750. But I don't know much about CPUs. I really can't tell which CPU is better than a the other CPU. So how do I know that one type of CPU is better than the other?
Like is i7 better than i5 or vice versa?
PS: This question apply to all CPUs of different brands, not just Intel Core.

angaddev

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Intel cpus :
Best
i7 (LGA 2011-v3) - best for heavy productivity/content creation
i7 (LGA 1150) - best for mild content creation and high-end gaming rigs
i5 (LGA 1150) - best for gaming rigs from $750-1500
i3 (LGA 1150) - best for budget gaming rigs (500-750)
Pentium (LGA 1150) -best for super cheap rigs (500-)
Worst

The 'K' in Intel Cpu numbers (eg. i5 4690k) means it can be overclocked.
The i5 4690k represents the model, with the 4xxx series being the most recent

stealthyexplosion

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014

I was wondering more about how I can tell which series of CPUs is better than the other, much like how GTX 700 series of graphics card are stronger than their 600 series counterparts.
How do I tell when we are talking about CPUs (and I'm not asking for one particular CPU)?

Pr3di

Honorable
I think what you want to find out has a very long and complicated answer.
However, due to the advance in technology, it`s best to go with the last series, because of the upgrade-ability that you have, along with the improvements provided by the newer generations.

stealthyexplosion

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014

Long and complicated answer...
Fine.
But can you answer me on this:
How do I figure out that one CPU and one GPU will be a good combination/match? I don't ask for how to figure out if they are compatible with each other. I've heard that it's not a good idea to have a powerful GPU but a weak CPU or vice verca, so to know how to find the right balance would be nice to know.

Pr3di

Honorable
Well, most of the current generation CPU`s will not bottleneck even the stronger GPU`s available today.
If you try to pair a strong and new GPU with a low-mid tied CPU from 3-4 years ago, it will most likely result in a bottleneck.
If you have some combination in mind, or you have a budget for a CPU + GPU, just let us know, and we can advise you.

However, maybe someone more experienced will provide with an answer to your liking.