Finding a key

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.registry (More info?)

Note: This is in regards to the Windows98 registry.
Anyone with a windows 98 computer can help out here.

This is a really simple request that I need help with. I am setting the
computers name and workgroup by accessing the registry directly. I have
tested my app on a Window 98 SE box, and it works perfectly. I tried it
several times, every time it worked flawlessly. The person that I gave the
app to claims that it works on all versions of windows that it was
supposed to (98,ME,2000,XP) EXCEPT for windows 98. I tried to get the
application to "fail" every way possible (although I didn't leave the user
with too much room for mistakes), but everything still worked as it was
supposed to.. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe there is a
slight difference in the windows 98 and windows 98 SE registry that could
be causing this to happen.

So what am I requesting?? If anyone out there is running Windows 98 (NOT
Second Edition) to please let me know if your computer matches what mine
does. Basically I need someone to open up "regedit" and search for there
computer name, and let me know if your results are different then mine. If
you are not sure how to do this, I will post instructions at the bottom of
this post.

Here are the only two places that I found my "computer name". Each of the
following locations had a key called "ComputerName" that obviously
contained "MY_COMP_NAME".

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName
KHEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP

-- Instructions for those who need it.
Right click on my computer and go to properties. This will tell you if you
are running "windows 98" or windows 98 second edition.

assuming it dosn't say second edition:
Right click on network neighborhood and click on properties.
Click on the Identification Tab. Here you can find your exact
"ComputerName".

Go to start, run, and type in regedit.
press control+F to search. type in the computer name.
When it finds something look at the status bar at the bottom of the screen
and it will tell you exactly where in the registry you are.
Press F3 to find the next record.

Thanks

In microsoft.public.win2000.registry d0x wrote:

> Note: This is in regards to the Windows98 registry.
> Anyone with a windows 98 computer can help out here.
>
> This is a really simple request that I need help with. I am
> setting the computers name and workgroup by accessing the registry
> directly. I have tested my app on a Window 98 SE box, and it works
> perfectly. I tried it several times, every time it worked
> flawlessly. The person that I gave the app to claims that it works
> on all versions of windows that it was supposed to (98,ME,2000,XP)
> EXCEPT for windows 98. I tried to get the application to "fail"
> every way possible (although I didn't leave the user with too much
> room for mistakes), but everything still worked as it was supposed
> to.. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe there is a
> slight difference in the windows 98 and windows 98 SE registry
> that could be causing this to happen.
>
> So what am I requesting?? If anyone out there is running Windows
> 98 (NOT Second Edition) to please let me know if your computer
> matches what mine does. Basically I need someone to open up
> "regedit" and search for there computer name, and let me know if
> your results are different then mine. If you are not sure how to
> do this, I will post instructions at the bottom of this post.
>
> Here are the only two places that I found my "computer name". Each
> of the following locations had a key called "ComputerName" that
> obviously contained "MY_COMP_NAME".
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\Co
> mputerName
> KHEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP
[ ]

I dug up an old script of mine that was used on W95a and W98SE and (I
think) on W98FE too. And it matches your locations. One other
location (not a computername exactly)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP
"HostName"=

Not much help I am sure, but indicates it _should_ be working as I
see it.

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:32:29 -0700, Mark V wrote:

> In microsoft.public.win2000.registry d0x wrote:
>
>> Note: This is in regards to the Windows98 registry. Anyone with a
>> windows 98 computer can help out here.
>>
>> This is a really simple request that I need help with. I am setting the
>> computers name and workgroup by accessing the registry directly. I have
>> tested my app on a Window 98 SE box, and it works perfectly. I tried it
>> several times, every time it worked flawlessly. The person that I gave
>> the app to claims that it works on all versions of windows that it was
>> supposed to (98,ME,2000,XP) EXCEPT for windows 98. I tried to get the
>> application to "fail" every way possible (although I didn't leave the
>> user with too much room for mistakes), but everything still worked as it
>> was supposed to.. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe there
>> is a slight difference in the windows 98 and windows 98 SE registry that
>> could be causing this to happen.
>>
>> So what am I requesting?? If anyone out there is running Windows 98 (NOT
>> Second Edition) to please let me know if your computer matches what mine
>> does. Basically I need someone to open up "regedit" and search for there
>> computer name, and let me know if your results are different then mine.
>> If you are not sure how to do this, I will post instructions at the
>> bottom of this post.
>>
>> Here are the only two places that I found my "computer name". Each of
>> the following locations had a key called "ComputerName" that obviously
>> contained "MY_COMP_NAME".
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\Co
>> mputerName
>> KHEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP
> [ ]
>
> I dug up an old script of mine that was used on W95a and W98SE and (I
> think) on W98FE too. And it matches your locations. One other location
> (not a computername exactly)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP
> "HostName"=
>
> Not much help I am sure, but indicates it _should_ be working as I see it.

Well I feel better knowing that it worked as far back to 95a. I cant
imagine that big MS would make a change in the registry to 98FE, and leave
95a, 98SE, and ME the same...

thank you very much!