Mr. White

Reputable
Aug 28, 2020
Hi all!

I've been thinking updating my CPU from AMD Ryzen 7 2700x to Intel Coffee Lake Core i7-9700K.
Is this worth? Is the Intel better for gaming? Does it effect to my performance?

My GPU is Nvidia RTX 2070 Super.

Motherboard would be MSI Z390-A PRO.

PSU is Corsair RM 750x. (750W)

I looked at the benchmarks, and those are in Intel's side.
What do you think?

Solution
Mostly a bad idea? You are trading 8 cores 16 threads for 8 cores. Faster for gaming, but most other things, no.

For gaming, I would pick the 10600K, 6 cores 12 threads, but with even faster clocks than the 9700k.

And you have 11th gen parts soon to be available.

Why not just get a faster still Ryzen 3800x or, if your board is new enough, 5000 series chip? They are more expensive, but certainly not more than a CPU & Motherboard.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Mostly a bad idea? You are trading 8 cores 16 threads for 8 cores. Faster for gaming, but most other things, no.

For gaming, I would pick the 10600K, 6 cores 12 threads, but with even faster clocks than the 9700k.

And you have 11th gen parts soon to be available.

Why not just get a faster still Ryzen 3800x or, if your board is new enough, 5000 series chip? They are more expensive, but certainly not more than a CPU & Motherboard.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution
Agree completely with Eximo.
Without even looking at benchmarks (which can be quite deceiving sometimes) I believe that 9700K (good overclocked and well cooled) is better for games than 2700X. How much better? Would you notice the difference? Is the difference big enough to justify the price paid? Are you ready to sacrifice overall PC performance for few fps more? Because as Eximo said: 2700X is 8C/16T CPU, but 9700K is "only" 8C/8T.
In my opinion, that would just be a switch from AMD to Intel without benefit. My advice is, save the money for "bigger jump".

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The 5600X is among the best CPU on the current market.
If you have a B450 board or better you can go that way. If you are on 3xx series you cannot.

Personally would hold off till some official statement about the high fail rates and PCI/USB issues ongoing before picking 5xxx.

I absolutely would not suggest going LGA 1151 at this point if you don't already have it.

Mr. White

Reputable
Aug 28, 2020
Oh yeah, I found those updates. Now I am just thinking about the temperatures....
Now my processor is somewhere around 30-40°C idle and near 50°C when gaming (48-52 + AMDs 5sec temp jumps up to 60).
Does this new one get really hot in my system? No one can really say exact numbers, but I think you can give me some guide about it. 🤔

New build with CPU update will be this (without SSDs and HDDs):
CASE: Bitfenix Aurora
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC
SYSTEM COOLING: 4 system fans (2 140mm in front blowing in, one 140mm at top blowing out and one 120mm on back blowing out)
CPU + Cooler: Ryzen 5 5600x Noctua NH-U12S
GPU: Asus Rog Strix Gaming RTX 2070 Super OC
PSU: Corsair RM 750x 80plus gold
RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4, I think 3600MHz

I would not bother with that upgrade just yet....

Wait an evaluate 11700K and above on Z590....

Or, if your board supports Ryzen 5000 series, play the game of trying to find a 5800X if you want 8 cores...(which is faster than most of the above anyway, as the 11700K's performance is not yet known)