[SOLVED] Finding a purpose for my 1650 low profile

Robbom

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
Recently purchased an Asus GTX 1650 low profile for a Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF system I was upgrading and foolishly didn't check the card would fit beforehand. Unfortunately the card is a fraction too long to fit in the case as the 24 pin connector blocks it from fully seating in the pcie x16. As the box has been opened I am now outside of the sellers terms and conditions for a return (United Kingdom) and now have a graphics card for which I have no use and is burning a hole in my pocket. Could anyone reccomend me a system in which this card would fit (maybe a hp or other OEM) or another potential use for it, or should I just attempt to resell it at a slight loss and accept this is as a harsh lesson to check such things.
Any advice is appreciated
Cheers

Solution
I've been chopping video cards to fit in Dells for years. It looks like the interference won't be too large. It seems like a trim of the plastic cover, and a few heatsink fins should do it. But the Zotac GTX1650 LoPro card is 22mm shorter and about 6mm thinner too. I've noticed Zotac seems to make things that fit Dells when others don't bother. Maybe your vendor would do a swap for the Zotac. They won't be out any cash. maybe 20% restock fee?
Like you when I upgraded my graphics card (in my prebuilt) it was too long; I ended up getting a new case.

I suppose the question I would ask is what do you hope to achieve, and where do you want to be financially afterwards? You could buy another system (at substantial cost), or sell it (for a possibly minor loss). In a way, I see both options as a financial loss of sorts.

If considering another system just to use this graphics card, what do you plan to do with the PC?

Robbom

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
Like you when I upgraded my graphics card (in my prebuilt) it was too long; I ended up getting a new case.

I suppose the question I would ask is what do you hope to achieve, and where do you want to be financially afterwards? You could buy another system (at substantial cost), or sell it (for a possibly minor loss). In a way, I see both options as a financial loss of sorts.

If considering another system just to use this graphics card, what do you plan to do with the PC?

My intention was resale of the dell system, I have bought a graphics card to suit the original purpose of this one so I am now just left with this first card which I cannot get a refund on. I think resale at a slight loss is probably the best way to recoup most of my funds, as setting up another system around the card is probably not worth the time investment.
Cheers for the reply

I've been chopping video cards to fit in Dells for years. It looks like the interference won't be too large. It seems like a trim of the plastic cover, and a few heatsink fins should do it. But the Zotac GTX1650 LoPro card is 22mm shorter and about 6mm thinner too. I've noticed Zotac seems to make things that fit Dells when others don't bother. Maybe your vendor would do a swap for the Zotac. They won't be out any cash. maybe 20% restock fee?

Solution

Robbom

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
Cheers for the reply, ending up getting a good deal on hp elite 8300 that the card fit in fine and got a gigabyte model card for the dell which was a bit shorter. The vendors were really adamant about not accepting returns without a sealed box which was a shame.